taking it for a walk??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

Reaction score
hmm... if you take your bun bun for a walk...well it so any damages to your bun buns feet? because this week mayeb,katy, my mom and I will get her a leash... but my concern is if shegets sick easily or something happens to Emmy's foot. Is there any tipsfor this? if you have AIM my s.n is ky0ot x trintriN

Just make sure Emmy doesn't eat any grass thathas been chemically treated and/or fertilized. Walking hershouldn't be harmful to her feet at all. Rabbits on a leash,more or less, walk the human, rather than the human walking therabbit. They usually cannot be led like a dog will, but willgo where they want to go. The leash will prevent the rabbitfrom getting into trouble.

Cat harness or a mesh harness works well. Be aware, if theleash is not chain links, the bun can bite through it quickly, so keepa close watch on Emmy.

buck

The biggest tip I have is to switch your pronouns...

IT takes YOU for a walk, not the other way around :D

You'll find that your bun will hop around, or stand in one spot, or runand hide behind you. It's not the sort of thing you'd expect from adog. You won't be walking with the bun trotting along with you. They'remuch more like cats in the independent sense.

Good luck, though. There are lots of us who love taking our buns out on leads.

wow! i like that pic. Elf Mommy! oo and whatleash should i buy for Emmy? :?should i buy the one aroundher beck or the one by her body?? im too afraid to buy the one aroundher neck because im thinking that it might choke her or harm a muscleor thorat.

Buy an H-harness, made for little dogs. They're the best. Figure-8's can be killers.

Collars would be major trouble!

Rose

Apollo is wearing an H-harness in the avatar.

Figure 8 harnesses are basically one strap that goes through a singleloop at the top in the shape of an 8. When the bunny pulls, it tightensaround the neck and can strangle the bunny.

H-harnesses are twocircles connected by one strap at thebelly and one at the back. No matter how much bunny pulls, the pressureis on the chest at the sternumand CANNOT tighten. It's like aseatbelt on a baby carseat--goes over the shoulders and meets at thechest.

Bunnies have fragile necks, that's why collars and 8-harnesses are bad: anything that puts pressure on the throat.

Rose

I have an 8 harness, and have never had any problems with it...

standing.jpg

MegRocks.jpg

MegStanding.jpg

MegGarden.jpg

I find it works great :)

That looks different than the 8-harnesses we had. A couple of mybuns almost got strangled when they bolted.

Yours is probably safer. That thing on top must keep it from tightening around the neck.

I also found H harnesses with slip-frictionbuckles worked much better for a pefect fit than the harnesses equippedwith buckles usinga tine and holes in the strap.Buns have been know to "walk" right out of one of the latter typesbecause it cannot be perfectly adjusted to the bun's size.Ask me how I learned that.

Further suggest making aleash out of light weight chain(available Home Depot/Lowes/Neighborhood hardware store) as a bun canbite through a web strap leash in one chomp, and be offrunning. Ask me how I learned that!

Regular dog leashes tend to be too heavy on the rabbit. Itook the leather hand strap from a dog leash, purchased a small snapfitting, and attached both to a length of light weight chain of mychoosing. Works perfectly

Buck

rabbitgirl wrote:
That looks different than the 8-harnesses we had. A coupleof mybuns almost got strangled when they bolted.

Yours is probably safer. That thing on top must keep it from tightening around the neck.
Yeah the big pink thing keeps it stuck there so it won't move, you canmake it as loose or tight as you want and you just buckle up the buckleunderneath the belly.

It also has a bell so you can hear where your bun is lol.

yeah, ours just went through a little loop thingat the top. The neck loop tended to tighten. I've actually never seenan 8-one that looks like yours.

Rose

I believe I have the same one as MBLM, so I am interested in any feedback.

So far, I have taken Jezebel to the front yard here in beautifulBC....(I made the mistake of taking her to the backyard initially, andnow when she is out of her cage in the livingroom she just sits by theback patio door and pines away for the great outdoors, then starts toscratch at the window on her hind legs like our dog when he has to goto the bathroom....) /rolls eyes

I, for one, love the walks I am taken on :p

Cher

Mybunnylovesme,

I am coming to vist you & your bunny in that beautiful garden, I drove by Peterborough area often!!!

Great pics!!! :):):)

Well, its not so pretty right now, its cold and everything's dead lol

We're putting in a waterfall in the spring...our backyard is gonna be PERDY!

wow sounds like a very god thingy you have there!there was one time when my cousins and I went to Gompers Park inChicago... and it was very beautiful! I'm plannning to bring Emmy thereif i have the time to go to the pet store with my mom and purchase aleash. :)

Latest posts

Back