Taking her outside...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheenisowner

Reaction score
so I bought a harness for her so that I could take her outside in the backyard now that it is getting warmer, at least until I buy a pen to set up so that she can have some outdoor time when summer hits. She was terrified though, her pupils became so small but at first she was curious, smelling the grass hopping but I think when she heard the dog bark from down the street her pupils were little dots, so I took her in and comforted her and she was fine five minutes later. Should I keep taking her out little bit each day so she will get used to it?

Such a cute picture but you can tell she's scared by her eyes :(

DSCF3143.jpg

The eyes can be a reaction to the light. The pupils will get smaller as there is more light available. Most houses are dark compared to outside on a bright day. I'd think that if she was really scared, her pupils would get bigger.
Are her eyes normally blue or red (can't tell from the pic)? Those colours can be more sensitive to light than brown eyes.

I wouldn't worry too much, but try to keep her out of bright light as much as you can. Have a shady area set up so she can get out of the sun if she wants to. Going out when it is not too bright can also help.

I have both a red eyed and a blue eyed bunny, so I do notice them being a bit more sensitive to bright outdoor light than my other rabbits.

OHHHHH maybe that is why...because she wasn't breathing fast..I always thought if they became smaller it is because she was scared...it was quite sunny out so maybe that is why...her eyes are blue...I'll take her over to where the big cherry tree is then where there is more shade for her. Thanks! :)

I did giggle a little at the pupils and the way you described it, sorry :p But yeah, jsut take her out for a little each day to get ehr used to it :)

It's good to get your bunny outside. Sunlight does them well. Bunnies need a certain amount to generate the oils of the skin.

She looks so good with her little harness. Glad she had a good time. Little spurts each time until you build her up to a longer stay outside. Just be careful of airborne predators. We have red tail hawks and falcons that we need to watch. Even though we are residential, there's a lot of trees and scrubs around.

K:)

I'd be careful where you take her until you get that outside pen, especially if there are wild rabbits etc that she might get an infection or parasite from their poop etc. I got an outside pen for Honey & sprinkled the ground with diatomaceous earth & waited a couple days before taking Honey outside. I also put a hide box in the outdoor pen.

She went straight to the box, but came out & was sniffing as fast as she could move her little nose. Then back to the box, then out. This repeated until she stopped coming out of the box, so I assumed she'd had enough & back in her carrier she went.

Leaving the pen in place [except for mowing] should insure no wild rabbit will infect the area with worms or whatever.

Not just the wild rabbits but squirrels also carry parasites and fleas. Along with ground hogs, mice, and birds. Definitely watch bird poop.

I sprinkle the ground with the diatomaceous earth, plus "humanely" trap and move any squirrels.

Just check the ground for any wild bunny poop, bird poop, or squirrel droppingsif you are worried and make sure your bunny stays away from that area. I do that when I set up my x-pen for the bunnies. Once the garden/bunny run is complete, I won't have to worry. Also definitely give her a hide box and also a water dish when you finally set up your bunny's outside run.

I'm paranoid about fleas and other paracites so I take the buns to the park in a stroller. They get fresh air, sunshine, stimulating environment but no risks. Half of the stroller is mesh and half is covered so they can hide if they want, but they mostly just lounge.

MiniLopHop wrote:
I'm paranoid about fleas and other paracites so I take the buns to the park in a stroller. They get fresh air, sunshine, stimulating environment but no risks. Half of the stroller is mesh and half is covered so they can hide if they want, but they mostly just lounge.
Do you really? lol that has got to be an adorable site lol

melbaby80 wrote:
MiniLopHop wrote:
Do you really? lol that has got to be an adorable site lol

It is really cute the stroller Brandy has for her bunnies. There's a thread with a pic posted. Really unique idea.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I really didn't even think about the other animals lol There is a wild rabbit that lives next door but occasionally see him hopping around near my shrubs so I didn't take her there. Will definitely keep this all in mind when setting up her pen and before taking her out again.

Latest posts

Back