Syphilis in baby rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4ddi3b

Reaction score
Today I was looking at my 4 week old rabbits and I noticed one of them had a swollen vent. I checked all my other rabbits including mum and this was the only one that had it. Any help please?

Attachments

• 81D0EBAA-7A55-41CF-9B14-5DF1EBCAC104.jpeg
    81D0EBAA-7A55-41CF-9B14-5DF1EBCAC104.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Do you see any lesions, sores, or pustules on the genitals? Any redness to indicate inflammation? Any bumps, crusty skin, or lesions around the mouth, nose, or eyes?

Medirabbit: rabbit syphilis
There is nothing around their face only to the vent. It seems to have a bit of puss near the area and a scab around it

It could be rabbit syphilis. Or if the pus is coming from inside the genitals, then the swelling and pus could be from a baterial infection. Either way, with there being pus and inflammation, the bunny should be examined by an experienced rabbit vet right away. The bunny likely will need to be put on antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

It could be rabbit syphilis. Or if the pus is coming from inside the genitals, then the swelling and pus could be from a baterial infection. Either way, with there being pus and inflammation, the bunny should be examined by an experienced rabbit vet right away. The bunny likely will need to be put on antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
Is it likely for the mum to be infected too as iknow it can occur when a kit passes through the birth canal or can they still get it without the mum being infected?

Is it likely for the mum to be infected too as iknow it can occur when a kit passes through the birth canal or can they still get it without the mum being infected?
At the minute no others rabbits are showing any signs or have anything similar so would they need treating as well?

Back