Swollen Foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augustus&HazelGrace

Reaction score
My mini rex got her foot wrapped up in her blanket it was only wrapped up for 15 minutes. I went out and was feeding she was fine when I fed her but by the time I went to grab her water bottle after feeding everybunny else, she had it wrapped up I took it off immediately, she was walking on it just fine so I went to church and came back and checked on her and it is very swollen, I don't have the money at the time to take her to the vet. What should I do? Cold compress? I gave her some Chamomile tea and a baby aspirin. My vet told me before I could give it to bunnies. I'm just so scared I recently had to put a bunny down because of this but it was on there a lot longer. She is my best show bun PLEASE help.

As long as the skin isn't looking purple or black, it may be ok. 15 minutes may not have been too long. If the swelling has lessened by tomorrow then I would think that it will continue to improve and be ok. But really the only way to be sure would be to have her checked by a rabbit vet. If the foot is looking purple/black and/or the swelling isn't reducing, the circulation may have been cut off for too long, and in that case amputation or pts may be your only options.

If this has happened before with another rabbit, I would suggest not allowing your rabbits to have blankets. If it is to help keep them warm outdoors, I would suggest using something like straw, that won't pose the risk of entangling their feet.

The reason why they have blankets is that they are in all wire cages outside and they are notorious about kicking straw out and it makes such a mess and then the box I got to keep the straw doesn't even keep it dry and I live in Kentucky so it is very cold here right now. I'm fixing to go out now to check and see how she is doing. I think that I will just have to check the blankets everyday and if there are any holes then take them out and replace them.

Her foot is almost back to normal, the swelling has went down significantly. Should I continue with the Camomile tea for pain and the baby aspirin for pain and swelling or leave it be and see how she does.

I have found the solution to my blanket problem. We just bought a storage building that we can put them in excluding the need for blankets.

Back