Switching from Cage to Pen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunaraine

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im thinking of switching dutchess from a normal 3ft wide cage to a play pen. But the problem is she isnt properly litter trained yet.

I did try the method where i put food nearby her litter tray. She does use it. But sometimes will let her pills go off as she roams her cage too. And sometime she cheats! The food bowl is at easy reach for her, and the litter pan can be used without her going on the pan lol.

I have heard that adult rabbits are easier to litter train compared to young rabbits. So i presume its true. My friend had a rabbit for 1 week, and she was able to litter train him without any problems.

The reason i would like to switch is because i find the cage is crampped for a growing bunny like her. And i can see that she just loves more space when i let her out of her cage and let her roam in the house. She can run and run around and do her binkies when shes out of the cage. Oh i live in an apartment btw.

I wouldnt mind swapping to the pen type if she was already litter trained, because i would just have to clean the litter pan. I think you guys get the picture >.< so i need suggestions :(:anyone:

Is she spayed? If not, getting her spayed should dramatically increase her litter box use.

And as long as she's peeing in the litter box consistently, I would move her to a pen. Lots of buns leave poos around, even perfectly litter trained buns.

That is good to know elrohwen.. I really have had this thought in my head that well potty trained rabbits will never leave their poo around XD I might get the pen at the end of the month or maybe mid of next month.

What would be the ideal size? I might get her a friend later on too.. but not so soon ;)

Also btw, she isnt spayed. I think she is too young to be spayed too :3 she's only about to enter her 3rd month :biggrin2:

This pen is great because it comes withthis cover which can cover top or bottom. Very easy to clean as well. Get two if you want both covered. Then when she is better trained you can get another one ofthese pens to expand it and ditch the covers.

:biggrin2:

Also, Bayou never leaves any extra poos around unless he accidentally kicks them out of the litter box, so there is hope!

Most pens are 4'x4' when set up - I would recommend this size. I would get one that is 36" tall. Even if your current bun isn't a jumper, a future bun might be so getting a tall pen will be good for re-use. Also, make sure you get one with a door that you can walk though. It's a pain if you have to disconnect the pen every time you want to get in!

Latest posts

Back