Switching between hays

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo

Reaction score
Hi I was just wondering..

I want to give my 4 rabbits the timothy hay that they sell where I live during the week.
I've been buying 2 bags a week before going home again, but they are 10euro each for a really small bag.

It is timothy hay with herbs, and looks really nice fo rthem instead of the other hay the shops back home sell.
It is nice and greener with herb bits inside it.
The other stuff seems very brown compared to it.

My mother has been saying it is too expensive to keep up, but since itis my money, I dont think so, but the 2 small bags dont even last aweek..
Not to mention I have to get a long bus out to the shop :)

So..
Would it make more sense to mix around the timothy hay with regular notas good hay to make it spread out for the week, as opposed to givingtimothy till it runs out and then giving the other hay until I can buymore timothy... I would think the first option, but just want to makesure mixing 2 brands of hay is ok?

Also the timothy herbal hay is worth it?
It is the only shop across ireland i've found that will stock it andthat is only because I found out they use a UK supplier so I requestedit on order.

Or if anyone knows of a decent hay supplier in the republic I would be very grateful :)

i've been looking up online suppliers and cantfind an irish one, and all the US shippers dont seem to send toireland.. (if you know of one please link coz the US suppliers work outa lot cheaper.)

The UK timothy is like 80euro for 11.5kg including shipping.

Is that good value?

80 euro is 108 dollars btw.

.. buut like 3kg would just about last a week. hmm.

I found 'readigrass' which looks nice and is a lot cheaper, does anyone know if that is a good hay/grass?

Nutrient info

Protein 15.0 %
Fibre 32.0 %

I used to give my buns two types of hay. Onethat they had unlimited supply of, and one that I gave them for treats.They had no problems with that, they just seemed to enjoy the changeand excitement, etc.

right now my bun is eating timothy hay (a littlebit) and about a handfull of grass mixed( fresh grass from my lawn) ibuy small timothy hay and it last about a week and there about $10 soin the summer time im gonna mostly give her hay with a little timothyand in the winter all timothy hay. I think you should do the good mixedwith the hay. Give the good one a little bit at a time. Which one dothey like better?

It isnt a brand, its just bagged hay and very dusty.

I've seen a meadow hay once or twice in a shop but only rarely- cant remember the brand.

They seem to like both equally, I just dont think the bagged hay looks as nutritious as timothy does.

Latest posts

Back