switched lylas food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjsara

Reaction score
i switched lyla to rabbit pellets withoutcolorful munchies, of course im mixing the two together to wean her forthe other but she dosnet seemm to eat her pellets she really dosentlike them as much???? i dont know what to will she eventuallylearn to like them or what??? she just eats all her hay.

sara

Colorful equals sugar usually. A plain pellet isbest for your bun, they will pick out the colorful non-healthy piecesand leave the rest. As long as she is eating plenty of hay and regularplain old boring pellets she should be fine.

Fergi's mom

EDIT: Thought I read that you were switching her to colorful pellets. My Bad!

gjsara wrote:
iswitched lyla to rabbit pellets... but she dosnet seemmto...like them as much???? i dont know what to will sheeventually learn to like them or what???
Gradually reduce the number of colored bits down to nil. Whenshe's hungry enough, she'll eat her pellets, especially if there are noother options.

If you and Lyla like tasty colored bits, a safer, healthier optionmight be ZuPreem FruitBlend Flavor AvianBreeder Diet available in threenugget sizes for your convenience. I give our buns the largesize occasionally as a treat. I buy it loose by the pound ata local feed store. Some local pet stores carry it, too.

Access their website at www.zupreem.com

Buck

gjsara wrote:
iswitched lyla to rabbit pellets without colorful munchies, of course immixing the two together to wean her for the other but she dosnet seemmto eat her pellets she really dosent like them as much???? i dont knowwhat to will she eventually learn to like them or what??? shejust eats all her hay.

Smart move. The "colorful" food is not very healthy forher. Just gradually lessen the amount of colorful stuff shegets each day. She'llsoon get used to her newhealthier pellets. I just switched Lenci and Iszy over fromAlfalfa-based pellets to Timothy-based pellets. It didn'ttake long for them to get used to it.

Yes, she will gradually get used to the pellets. Her hay is fine too, as much as she wants.

Bo didn't touch the oxbow pellets when I changed from Kaytee..... hepicked the Kaytee out and left the others...... and I left them til heate them after awhile. Now, he loves them!

Make sure she eats, but don't give into her stubborness. It'snot doing her any good to feed her the "foo foo" stuff...

thanks everyone i have been giving her somequarker oat as well to keep firm poops lol . she loves them!!! at firstshe wasnt sure but now man!!! lol

sara & Lyla

Bo shivers in excitement when he hears me gettinghis Oatsies! I think he inhales them! I put them inmy hand and he eats them that way. I like him thinking myhands = oatsies! :)

Well, they are going to gain weight if you givethem to them all the time.... but you can cut back a little bit onpellets if you need to.

I give Bo about 1/2 tsp in the morning about 3 times eachweek. However, I have noticed that it has helped "fluff" hispoos as someone (fergi or raspberry I think) said so I try to give themmore often.

I have given him as much as 1 tsp. We are talking a 3.5 lbrabbit.....I don't know what lyla weighs. Some people givemore for conditioning I think.... it's a good healthy snack for them asopposed to things like yogurt drops which I've heard can be bad forthem.

Yea for better food!!! She will eat thenew stuff eventually. It took Sage a couple of weeks toreally like the new stuff. As long as she is eating her hayand veggies she'll be fine.

I give my guys 1/2 to 1 tsp. 3 days a week. Usually Mon, Wedand Fri and they get pumpkin Tues and Thurs. They love both,it is funny, Sage actually gets the pumpkin all over his nose he is insuch a hurry to eat it.

Jen

Lissa wrote:
Ijust switched Lenci and Iszy over from Alfalfa-based pellets toTimothy-based pellets. It didn't take long for them to getused to it.

Which brand are you switching to? How much$$ for how much #?

I really want to switch to a timothy based pellet. I'm currently usingPurina Complete Rabbit Chow and it's alfalfa based (Alfalfa =chunk-a-bun).

Cost and package size are a big factor. I buy either 25 or 50 pound bags and the cost is 25.00 or less.

I now have 6 hungry buns to feed.

:~) Jim

Per Carolyn's request, I bought Timothy-based Oxbow brand. It's about $10 for a rather small bag.

Lissa wrote:
PerCarolyn's request, I bought Timothy-based Oxbow brand. It'sabout $10 for a rather small bag.
Oxbow would be my choice as well, if weren't for the cost. And the nearest distributor is at least 20-30 minute ride from me.

I think Kaytee makes timothy based pellets, but I'm pretty sure the cost is quite a bit more as well.

:~) Jim

Latest posts

Back