swine flu

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NetherlandDwarf wrote:
i agree, i think everyone should be tested if the are returning from mexico to reduce spreading it.

Unfortunately, it's not practical for the thousands of people frequently crossing the border to be tested.

My daughter was just in Mexico a few days ago. :(

Pam

PepnFluff wrote:
Mexico City has shut all school indefinately at the moment and cancelled any public events like concerts/ movie theatres/ etc. The catholic church has said people can do confession online - Sounds like its getting quite serious, because I'm such a paranoid person and I'll be living with someone whos leaving mexico at this minute, As soon as I get home I'm going to the supermarket to buy up on cans and emergency goods.
I heard recently they were going to do checks on people coming in from mexico at the airports, i know a couple countries have just started that today, but i dont know what countries those were. i hope ur mom will be alright

Becca you'll be fine, you havn't been to Mexico lately? You havn't be in contact with mexian pigs? and you havn't been in contact with anyone coming from Mexico? And your in the UK, as Tracey said you guys have the antidote so you'll be A Ok.

SunnyCait wrote:
I always get really paranoid about these things... I can't help myself! But I'm trying to not get too worried about this. As long as it normally runs it's course like the regular flu, then... Well! It'd be just like having the normal flu and you'd need a different shot. I'm just glad I'm not going to Mexico any time soon or know anyone who is or has.

That's just the thing; the regular Flu Vaccine will only help against one type of the Swine Flu. But there is no vaccine for other types. There are only vaccines for pigs to prevent them from getting it.
Is there a vaccine for swine flu?
Vaccines are available to be given to pigs to prevent swine influenza. There is no vaccine to protect humans from swine flu. The seasonal influenza vaccine will likely help provide partial protection against swine H3N2, but not swine H1N1 viruses.
Taken from: http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/key_facts.htm

Which that link also states that:
What medications are available to treat swine flu infections in humans?
There are four different antiviral drugs that are licensed for use in the US for the treatment of influenza: amantadine, rimantadine, oseltamivir and zanamivir. While most swine influenza viruses have been susceptible to all four drugs, the most recent swine influenza viruses isolated from humans are resistant to amantadine and rimantadine. At this time, CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with swine influenza viruses.

Emily

Latest article I just read: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30412340

NetherlandDwarf wrote:
PepnFluff wrote:
Mexico City has shut all school indefinately at the moment and cancelled any public events like concerts/ movie theatres/ etc. The catholic church has said people can do confession online - Sounds like its getting quite serious, because I'm such a paranoid person and I'll be living with someone whos leaving mexico at this minute, As soon as I get home I'm going to the supermarket to buy up on cans and emergency goods.
I heard recently they were going to do checks on people coming in from mexico at the airports, i know a couple countries have just started that today, but i dont know what countries those were. i hope ur mom will be alright

She's arriving into Auckland Int today and they have placed Drs and nurses on hand to screen any passengers coming in from Nth and central America and Mexico. My only issue with "screening" is that if anyone has it it's unlikely theyre showing or feeling any symptoms yet....

We're ok guys! Seriously, I literally live 10 minutes from the border. There's nothing to worry about (especially for those who live far away). The media is sensationalizing the whole thing.

PepnFluff wrote:
NetherlandDwarf wrote:
PepnFluff wrote:

She's arriving into Auckland Int today and they have placed Drs and nurses on hand to screen any passengers coming in from Nth and central America and Mexico. My only issue with "screening" is that if anyone has it it's unlikely theyre showing or feeling any symptoms yet....
i was wondering the same thing. hopefully they will keep records of people coming and maybe do further follow ups

myLoki wrote:
We're ok guys! Seriously, I literally live 10 minutes from the border. There's nothing to worry about (especially for those who live far away). The media is sensationalizing the whole thing.
They have found it in 5 states though, I think I'll be fine here though

I don't know where I've been living but I hadn't even heard about this until earlier today! :expressionless

Phoebe, I hope your mum will be ok, and Pam, I hope your daughter will be ok too.

I agree that there's no need to panic- over here we are far away from it, and I've just been reading an article on the BBC site where the WHO has said that the world is well-prepared for an outbreak. I don't know how true it is, haven't read much else yet but here's the article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8019566.stm

irishbunny wrote:
myLoki wrote:
They have found it in 5 states though, I think I'll be fine here though

I agree with Gracie.

There is something to worry about when they've found it in 5 states, over 86 people have died; thousands more are infected....the media wouldn't sensationalize it. This is scary and it is big.

OOPS! totally screwed up sorry! I accidentally edited Emilys post !

myLoki wrote:
its better to be safer than sorry. especially with all these new cases popping up every where & hopefully it will stay with just the mild strain and not progress to the serious strain that is affecting mexico

What is odd to me is that there have been NO cases at all on the border towns? Strange no?

Peg? Anything on your end?

t.

myLoki wrote:
What is odd to me is that there have been NO cases at all on the border towns? Strange no?

t.
I don't really think it's to do with where you are located, it's people coming from Mexico that are spreading it, like there are cases in New Zealand and that's well away from the US. I don't think the media are making it look worse then it is, if it wasn't serious it wouldn't be on Irish news ;) News from the US is only ever on our news if something serious is going on, terriost attacks and what not. If it was an over reaction that over 80 people died and it hadn't been found in the US in five states it wouldn't be on our news.
I think you lot over there should just be careful and be aware of whats going on, I'm keeping aware of it too. Something like that would be very serious here with our small population.

What is swine flu?
Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease of pigs caused by type A influenza viruses. Outbreaks of swine flu happen regularly in pigs. People do not normally get swine flu, but human infections can and do happen. Most commonly, human cases of swine flu happen in people who are around pigs but it’s possible for swine flu viruses to spread from person to person also.

Are there human infections with swine flu in the U.S.?
In late March and early April 2009, cases of human infection with swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses were first reported in Southern California and near San Antonio, Texas. CDC and local and state health agencies are working together to investigate this situation.

Is this swine flu virus contagious?
CDC has determined that this virus is contagious and is spreading from human to human. However, at this time, it not known how easily the virus spreads between people.

What are the signs and symptoms of swine flu in people?
The symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to the symptoms of regular human flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu. In the past, severe illness (pneumonia and respiratory failure) and deaths have been reported with swine flu infection in people. Like seasonal flu, swine flu may cause a worsening of underlying chronic medical conditions.

How serious is swine flu infection?
Like seasonal flu, swine flu in humans can vary in severity from mild to severe. Between 2005 until January 2009, 12 human cases of swine flu were detected in the U.S. with no deaths occurring. However, swine flu infection can be serious. In September 1988, a previously healthy 32-year-old pregnant woman in Wisconsin was hospitalized for pneumonia after being infected with swine flu and died 8 days later. A swine flu outbreak in Fort Dix, New Jersey occurred in 1976 that caused more than 200 cases with serious illness in several people and one death.

How do you catch swine flu?
Spread of swine flu can occur in two ways:

• Through contact with infected pigs or environments contaminated with swine flu viruses.
  • Through contact with a person with swine flu. Human-to-human spread of swine flu has been documented also and is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu. Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
Are there medicines to treat swine flu?
Yes. CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with these swine influenza viruses. Antiviral drugs are prescription medicines (pills, liquid or an inhaler) that fight against the flu by keeping flu viruses from reproducing in your body. If you get sick, antiviral drugs can make your illness milder and make you feel better faster. They may also prevent serious flu complications. For treatment, antiviral drugs work best if started soon after getting sick (within 2 days of symptoms).

How long can an infected person spread swine flu to others?
People with swine influenza virus infection should be considered potentially contagious as long as they are symptomatic and possible for up to 7 days following illness onset. Children, especially younger children, might potentially be contagious for longer periods.

What should I do if I get sick?
If you live in San Diego County or Imperial County California or Guadalupe County, Texas and become ill with influenza-like symptoms, including fever, body aches, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, or vomiting or diarrhea, you may want to contact their health care provider, particularly if you are worried about your symptoms. Your health care provider will determine whether influenza testing or treatment is needed.

If you are sick, you should stay home and avoid contact with other people as much as possible to keep from spreading your illness to others.

If you become ill and experience any of the following warning signs, seek emergency medical care.

In children emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

• Fast breathing or trouble breathing
  • Bluish skin color
  • Not drinking enough fluids
  • Not waking up or not interacting
  • Being so irritable that the child does not want to be held
  • Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough
  • Fever with a rash
In adults, emergency warning signs that need urgent medical attention include:

• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
  • Sudden dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Severe or persistent vomiting
Can I get swine influenza from eating or preparing pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not spread by food. You cannot get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork products is safe.

irishbunny wrote:
myLoki wrote:

t.
I don't really think it's to do with where you are located, it's people coming from Mexico that are spreading it, like there are cases in New Zealand and that's well away from the US. I don't think the media are making it look worse then it is, if it wasn't serious it wouldn't be on Irish news ;) News from the US is only ever on our news if something serious is going on, terriost attacks and what not. If it was an over reaction that over 80 people died and it hadn't been found in the US in five states it wouldn't be on our news.
I think you lot over there should just be careful and be aware of whats going on, I'm keeping aware of it too. Something like that would be very serious here with our small population.
I guarantee there are more people from Mexico here than anywhere else in the world with the exception of Mexico and California. I am Mexican. I have family in Mexico and visit often. I know what I'm talking about.

BUT, I will grant that you are right about being careful. It seems that Mexico D.F. is ground zero for the outbreak. Perhaps it will spread to border towns soon enough.

t.

I think what has spread it to those states is people coming from Mexico like on holidays and stuff not neccessarily Mexican people, I think ye all have been lucky that it hasn't spread over to ye yet though, hopefully it won't!

It seems very serious in Mexico, I was watching the news and everyone is wearing masks and stuff to try and not get infected, I hope it clears up soon, it's scary.

Flu-like symptoms improve but then return with fever and worse cough

that one worries me abit... and my daughter admitted that theres a girl in her class that goes to mexico a lot & just came back from mexico. right now the swine flu could and come from anywhere since its being passed through people. Im taking my daughter to the er in a minute just to be safe since she has been sick for a while now and it just got worse again with vomiting now. i may be over reacting, but safer than sorry. i hope its nothing more than just a flu.

Latest posts

Back