Sweetie may have ear mites.......

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie

Reaction score
I have noticed yesterday when I was looking at Sweetie's ears that she had white dandruff and spots. I think she may have ear mites. She had ear mites before and I was able to get her in to the vet to have them taken care of, but now I have absolutely no money to take her in. She is grinding her teeth occasionally as I think that her ears are causing her pain. I massage her ears and she stops grinding her teeth. I put some euclens otic cleanser in her ears a few minutes ago. I can drown the ear mites, but I don't know how often I can use this stuff in her ears. She is also shaking her head, that is after I put the stuff in her ears.

Again I have absolutely no money to take her in to the vet or buy mite spray for her. I need home remedies that are safe for her that I can use to get rid of the ear mites.

How often can I use the euclens otic cleanser in her ears? What else can I use in/on her ears that is safe? Are there any veggies and/or fruit that can help get rid of the ear mites?

She is 2 1/2 years old, pooping and peeing normal. I clean her area every week, sometimes every other day. Last time she was at the vet was beginning of this year and that was for gas bout and mild GI stasis.

Please help me!!!!!

That is severe ear mites. These that Sweetie may have, and she has had them before, are mild to moderate. I am not going to let them get severe, I am going to do something before they get worse. That is why I am asking for home remedies, plus I have absolutely no money to go to the vet or buy mite stuff for her.

There is white flakes, like dandruff in her ears and white specks in her ears. Last time she was at the vet for this they were ear mites, although mild. I am cleaning her ears with euclens otic cleanser. That is all I have at the moment.

On the 1st of Sept I gave her a dose of kitten advantage. I really don't want to mix flea meds with her. I would have to wait until Oct 1st to give her another dose.

I have a cat from my mom's best friend which has fleas and is also being treated with flea medicine. My cat, Luna, will not let me put the flea medicine on her.

Here's what we do:

Mineral Oil in the base ( not too far down!) of the ear on a q-tip. You can also use it to loosen up the crusty stuff. Keep doing that every may several days or so until its gone. I've heard of once a week sticking a drop of it in the ears, if you let them in the grass alot, but Ihaven't ever had huge issues with mites where I felt i needed to.

I will be getting mineral oil, but can I get it with food stamps? Food stamps is all the income I have right now, until next month. Even then, my finances are very tight and I pay my rent and bills with what money I have each month and that takes all my money.

mmm, I really don't know. All I know is its about maybe $2-3.00 for a bottle. Maybe check around with nieghtbors to see if anyone has some?

Also just remembered:

You can use Veggie oil and it should do the trick. I've used mineral oil but that should work just as well.

I will ask around. Also I will be cleaning Sweetie's ears once a day with the euclens otic cleanser. It has an anti-inflammatory property and it seems to help her with the pain. I will also keep massaging her ears to help with the pain that she is feeling.

Any other home remedies that are safe for her for her ears would greatly be appreciated.

Ok, that sounds fine. I was just going to say when I read this originally, I didn't see that you said she was grinding her teeth etc. like pain.. Are you sure there isn't infection? My rabbit had infection, which really needs to be aggressivly treated. Usually mites aren't so painful..

I don't think that there is an infection. But I am cleaning her ears with the cleanser and it has an anti-inflammatory property. I am also massaging her ears and putting an ice pack on them to help with the pain.

This will sound gross - but if my rabbits have an ear infectio - if I put my nose to the base of their ear....I can smell it.

Can't describe the smell - just - it does have an odor.

Wish you were here - I'd give you the feel drops needed of ivermectin since I keep a bottle on hand now of the liquid kind so I can measure it out exactly.

Tinysmom: I can PM you my address to send me the ivermectin, but I would need to know the dosage that I would give to Sweetie so that I don't overdose or underdose her.

Would you feel comfortable sending it via mail?

Ive heard that olive oil drowns them as well. I use it for my bunnies. Otherwise im not so sure...good luck though!

Thank you Marisa. I hope that she gets better as well. I cannot take her to the vet, but at least I am doing something for her. I will be getting a bottle of mineral oil and will be cleaning her ears every day.

Thank you everyone for your advice, greatly appreciated. Sweetie thanks you all as well.

Was able to get mineral oil and will be applying it this evening as I have already given her ears a cleanse with the cleanser I have. I will be using both the mineral oil and cleanser to gid rid of the ear mites. Is this okay to do, or should I just use one of the other?

Back