Surprise!! (Long)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OreoLove

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am new here but am already in love with it! I adopted a mini lop that I was told is about 1yr or so old about three weeks ago. I brought it home and it was a living terror! I've had rabbits before but nothing like this rabbit on the chewing and digging! My boss told me it was a boy but I wasn't worried because it was getting fixed anyway.

I came home from work one day, I work the 4am shift, and decided to take a nap. I wake up around 6 in the evening and walk into my living room where my Oreo stays and see wads of fur! I mean wads! I start freaking out then realize it was making a nest, so I got online and did my research and determined it was a false pregnancy or not.

SURPRISE!!! I have 3 adorable baby mini lops :) Oreo is a girl :) The kits are 10 days old today!

I have done soooo much bunny research, my brain hurts. I obviously have to sex the kits as soon as I can and with that comes getting Oreo spayed.

My question is should I wait until the babies are fully weaned before getting momma spayed? Will spaying her mess up her milk production because of all the hormones?

Thanks for any help!

I haven't dealt with pregnant rabbits but I would assume that it would be best to wait until the babies are weaned before have her spayed. For one thing the meds given to the momma will make it's way into the babies through her milk. For another I would think it best to keep her by herself while she recovers. I know I would not want a bunch of rambunctious little ones hopping on me after major surgery. Plus there is the chance her stitches could be chewed out by the babies or some such thing occurring.

Yupyup that is what I was told as well, to wait till the babies have been weened off of Momma cause its better for the babes.

kits can be weaned at five weeks of age. Then wait 2-3 weeks for her body to settle down (decreases blood supply) and then get her neutered.

Many rabbits wean their kits by five weeks of age.

Then sell the kits at 8 weeks. Use that money to pay for the neuter. :)

Back