Quantcast

SUPPOSED to purchase holland lops..

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

bhoffman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
541
Reaction score
70
Location
Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, Canada
So, I have been in contact with a lady about a Holland lop pair. I have arrangements to pick them up when I am in Alberta in July. Well, I have been asking for pictures for the past 3 -4 weeks. I always get "I will try tonight" "I just got so busy" or "I will get this week". I am starting to have doubts about this breeder. As a breeder myself, if I had someone asking for pictures, I would be sure to get them to them within the next day or two.

How would you feel about the situation? Would you be getting doubts. or am I being unreasonable? I haven't said to the lady yet I am having doubts. But may if I don't have pictures soon.

We are heading that way for holidays, BUT we are driving an extra 3.5 hours one way to get th rabbit. If it weren't for the rabbits, we would save 7 hrs. driving. I guess I am just worried I will get there and the rabbits wont be there.
 

Minerva

Elizabeth
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
6
Location
California
I agree that it is strange. Maybe you should try giving her an ultimatum in the gentlest way possible? Something like, "I really must see pictures by X day if I am going to go through with this transaction. If there is a problem with the rabbits/pedigrees/whatever please let me know as we are planning on driving significantly out of our way for this."

I had the same thing last week about Hollands. One woman I contacted did not want to produce pictures (said they were best seen in person, whatever that means), ignored my question about whether they were purebred or not, and got snippy when I asked about the weights of the parents to try to see if they were mixed. She said I could look it up on the internet if I wanted to know because she did not weigh her rabbits. I ticked her off the list. Another one waited three days to get back to me because they were at an equestrian event the day I contacted them. I ended up buying a lovely Holland from a breeder at a show for an excellent price, with pedigree. Sometimes you have to go through a few before you find a person that you're comfortable with. :)
 

bhoffman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
541
Reaction score
70
Location
Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, Canada
The worst part is.. is I passed on a pair because I had committed to buying from this other lady. AND the pair was only a couple hours from my place! :( I will give her another week or so.. I don't pick them up til mid July, but still would like to have my plans worked out in advance. I don't mind waiting for pictures.. BUT it I getting to be a while since I asked for pictures. I sent her another email asking for pics tonight so I will see what she says. If she says she will get them tonight or something I will give her a few more days then I will tell her I will start looking elsewhere.
 

woahlookitsme

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2009
Messages
4,194
Reaction score
590
Location
, Texas, USA
I know you arent too interested in quality but it would be nice to see pictures so you can know for sure these guys are hollands. I think your plan sounds fine and I would be turned off too. I can understand taking maybe a week because shoot sometimes I can remember doing that but 3-4 that is just a little excessive.
 

bhoffman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
541
Reaction score
70
Location
Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, Canada
Well, woahlookitsme, I am wanting quality ones. I don't want just anything. I want to improve my breeding program. They are registered she said.

I understand taking a week or so to send pictures.. I know how busy it can get. But 3-4 weeks is pushing it. If she cant get me pics yet..fine just tell me though.
 

OakRidgeRabbits

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
2,422
Reaction score
397
Location
, Pennsylvania, USA
I am going through a similar situation right now, but on the opposite end. I have quite a few people asking about sale rabbits, but right now, I'm spending any extra time I have cleaning cages, feeding, watering, socializing babies, etc. With a full-time job on top of rabbits, it is challenging to find time even for necessary care. But obviously that's the priority, so taking pictures or evaluating and deciding on sale rabbits simply has to wait until I have time.

Most people who are raising rabbits reputably aren't raising them to sell. They're breeding their rabbits in an effort to improve on their own herd, and may also offer some for sale when the situation arises. So on the side of the breeder, I don't think they're being difficult or unreasonable.

At the same time, if their sale process doesn't accommodate you as a buyer, that's fine too. I wouldn't put any ultimatums on the breeder or get nasty about it. If they want to or need to make the sale, they will do their best to help. And if not, there's nothing wrong with saying, "Thanks anyway! I've found something else."
 

bhoffman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
541
Reaction score
70
Location
Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, Canada
Well, she has already picked two out that she think I will like. She has had them picked out for a couple weeks now.

I totally understand that she may be busy. BUT if she is too busy to take the pictures and send to me, then she needs to tell me that. And not tellme she will take pictures "tonight" and then leave me hanging without any contact until I email her again a week later.
 

bhoffman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
541
Reaction score
70
Location
Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, Canada
I guess I am just worried that I will get there, after driving out of our way to get the rabbits and they either be totally different than what I want, or they aren't there at all.
 

Minerva

Elizabeth
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
6
Location
California
Yep, exactly. If she has something going on she can always tell you, but stalling makes it seem as if there is a problem or as if she just doesn't care. I don't think anyone suggested that you get nasty or aggressive with her; that never accomplishes anything. :)

Edit: That is another very valid point. The second person I contacted is 2.5+ hours away and I would have had to drive five hours round trip to pick up a rabbit from her. The long delay in getting back to me plus excuse is what made me rule it out. I would have been upset if I drove that far to have them be gone, or busy, or whatever. Since you guys will be on a road trip it might end up being stressful to make a detour if you are not 110% confident in her.
 
Last edited:

bhoffman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
541
Reaction score
70
Location
Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, Canada
Oh no, I don't want to be mean or anything. I try my best to be polite about everything. She has two kits picked out for me already. So, it is not like she needs to evaluate or decide which ones she is selling and keeping. If she doesn't have time for the pics at this point, I can wait. BUT I need to see pictures before I will drive 3.5 hours one way , to pick them up. I have had that happen once before (except it wasn't so far). I drove an hour one way to pick up a mini rex to get there and be at a house where th people hav NO clue what the heck I am talking about.
 

bhoffman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
541
Reaction score
70
Location
Earl Grey, Saskatchewan, Canada
Edit: That is another very valid point. The second person I contacted is 2.5+ hours away and I would have had to drive five hours round trip to pick up a rabbit from her. The long delay in getting back to me plus excuse is what made me rule it out. I would have been upset if I drove that far to have them be gone, or busy, or whatever. Since you guys will be on a road trip it might end up being stressful to make a detour if you are not 110% confident in her.

That is my biggest thing. Im worried we will get there and they wont be there. With it being an extra 7 hours of driving (round trip) with three kids already 8 hours from home, it would be VERY stressful. It will also be the end of our trip as well.
 

Minerva

Elizabeth
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
6
Location
California
That would be really rough with three kids, especially if they end up being disappointed with no bunnies on top of possibly cranky from a long car ride. I think another week is ample on top of the other three or four you have waited. Has she offered any pictures at all or described them? Has she mentioned colors? With something like that I would also be worried about her just giving you two random unsold ones that she happened to have on hand if she has not sent pictures or at least given good descriptions.
 

Korr_and_Sophie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
4,215
Reaction score
228
Location
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I know there are quite a few breeders who have Holland Lops in Alberta. Both around Edmonton and Calgary. I am not sure where in Alberta you will be or who you have contacted, but it might be worth contacting other breeders. If you want to avoid a long trip out of your way, focus around the area you will be travelling. At least then if it doesn't work out, you are not 7+ hours out of your way.

The Edmonton Area Rabbit Association and the Southern Alberta Rabbit Breeders Association are the 2 main breeder clubs in Alberta, so check them out to help find breeders. Both have a facebook group as well if you are in that.

I would contact some other breeders. At least get a feel of what is available. If the first breeder falls through, you would want to have a back up. Give yourself a deadline for contacting people so you are not left dealing with it last minute. If you don't get pic say 2 weeks before you leave, move onto another breeder. If may be annoying for you and for the breeder, but there is not much you can do if you can't get the pics you need.
 

pamnock

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
12,688
Reaction score
46
Location
, Pennsylvania, USA
She may be legit, but for such a long drive, I'd give an ultimatum NOW. Photos - or cancel. My intuition is telling me that the rabbits are probably not worth the drive.
 

OakRidgeRabbits

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
2,422
Reaction score
397
Location
, Pennsylvania, USA
I guess I am just worried that I will get there, after driving out of our way to get the rabbits and they either be totally different than what I want, or they aren't there at all.
Definitely don't make the extra trip with no information on the rabbits. I was just explaining that the breeder's priority may not be on selling rabbits. So if you don't have what you need at this point, it's probably best to cancel the sale and look elsewhere.
 

Latest posts

Top