supplement feeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
I am going to double post this here and in the breeding area, just to make sure it gets seen by someone "in the know"

I have already talked to my vet, but he agreed that checking here would be a good idea as well.

March 11, Twilight 1 1/2 yr old mixed-breed doe gave birth to 7 kits. She is feeding and taking great care of them. I check 2X a day and they have always had full tummies. However, one of them is smaller than the others - not uncommon in larger litters I'm sure. It wasn't a problem the first couple of days - the size difference wasn't that great and the smallest was definitely holding her(his?) own.

Now, though, the difference is REALLY noticeable. Even though I can tell that the little one has been able to get food, I worry if she is getting enough? The smallest keeps ending up on the bottom of the pile, getting easily pushed out of the way by the bigger kits.

The point is, what (and should) I supplement feed? The vet said that they usually use a mix of goat milk, kitten replacer, etc to feed orphaned wild bunnies. However, he said that since the baby is eating from mother, that it would be ok to give a small feeding of just kitten milk replacer once a day.

Any opinions on this? Or should I just keep an eye the little one? I would rather step in and head off trouble before it begins.

Almost forgot to add - it is possible that this baby is just smaller. Mom is a large mixed doe while Dad was a small, mini ?? that was about 1/8 her size.

mom doesn't like to be handled at ALL. If you pick her up she goes into a kicking screaming biting tantrum. And the only way to "force" a rabbit to feed the kits that I have been able to find is that you pick them up and hold them on the nest to give the babies a chance to nurse.

The baby IS getting food, I just worry that as the others continue to outpace her, she will get shoved to the side

Once again I do not have experience with this but would it be impossible to movea few of the biggerkits from the mom briefly 2 times per day and allow the runt to nurse alone ??
Ido not know ifyour doe goes into a frenzy if you touch the kits :?

I had to deal with a terribly antisocial rabbit a few days ago. Literally could not touch her with your hands--she would bite the poop out of them. I had to bunny burrito her--throw a towel over the bunny, scoop them up in it before they notice, and I would hold her that way in your lap. expose her belly and keep the head covered and legs immobile. Let the baby suckle. You can also use leather gloves if necessary when dealing with an extremely aggressive rabbit.

all the babies are doing well, with no supplemental feeding. they will be 2 weeks old tomorrow - eyes are just opened..

thanks for the help though!

Latest posts

Back