Suny's lost YET ANOTHER nail..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankz

Reaction score
I feel SO BAD for my baby. Here's the story, we recieved Sunny from a pet store( at the time, I was 11. I didn't know the things about pet stores then like I do now, at 13) I did, however, notice that a few of her nails were over grown and a bit crooked. So, yesterday when I pick her up to put her in her cage for the night, I noticed her front (left I believe) foot second nail was bloody (old scabby blood, so whatever mishap she had was earlier in the day/yesterday/a few days ago.) and almost all the way out. I went to show my mom and the next time I look, it's gone. I guess it just fell out, but it didn't bleed, and I didn't see the quick, so I guess that came off too?

Well, a few weeks ago there was a mishap where her nail got caught in a heating vent (don't worry, it wasn't on) and when I picked her up, it snapped off.

The vet, maybe a year after we got her, had to take 2 off because they were just so over grown and crooked from poor treatment at the pet shop.

Is she gonna be okay? She's an indoor rabbit and the only pet (besides mice and gerbils, but they don't roam around the place) we have, so it's not like she's fighting for anything. She's always taken care of her own paws, cleaning them, but I always poor a bit of warm water of them.

My poor baby, has such bad luck with her feet:tears2: .
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Perhaps her nails are too long? Is she on a wire grid floor? What is she eating? Might her diet not be very balanced and leading to weak nails? Why do you put warm water on her paws?

Usually bunnies recover quickly from a nail break. Sometimes the nail will even grow back. A blood-stopping powder that they sell can help, because not only does it stop bleeding, it has a topical anesthetic that's safe. It just worries me that she's continuing to get them.

tonyshuman wrote:
Perhaps her nails are too long? Is she on a wire grid floor? What is she eating? Might her diet not be very balanced and leading to weak nails? Why do you put warm water on her paws?

Usually bunnies recover quickly from a nail break. Sometimes the nail will even grow back. A blood-stopping powder that they sell can help, because not only does it stop bleeding, it has a topical anesthetic that's safe. It just worries me that she's continuing to get them.
Sorry about that, I meant on them, not of them, and when they've broken, (only then), to make sure she doesn't have an infection. Yes, I know there's medicines but at the time I didn't have any.

Sunny gets all her vegetables..2 cups (usually mustard greens, romaine lettuce, and baby spinach), and 1/4th cup of pellets. I have to get some hay tomorrow or the next day since we unfortunately ran out, but shes getting her nutrients.

Her nails get cut regularly, she's not on a wire grid floor.

OIC. Just trying to find a reason that they might be breaking so frequently. Another thing you can use in a pinch to stop bleeding is cornstarch or flour. It sounds like she does get what she needs, so it's not a nutritional issue.

Also, so everyone knows, (Sorry I didn't clarify this) they aren't technically 'falling off', she just keeps having accidents.

One with the vent, the one the other day, so she must of did something I didn't notice, the 3rd the vet had to cut off because it was so crooked (she saw it when we were getting her nails cut) and the last one, I just forgot she's had so many accidents :?.

Back