Suggestions Safe Nesting Materials - need NOW....lol

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 31452

Reaction score
My foster rabbit ended up being pregnant - (surprise) otherwise I would have planned ahead. I am sure this has been addressed dozens of times....but I can't seem to find my answer. I would like suggestions on safe lofty nesting materials for baby rabbits. I of course know hay is, I just worry about the babies poking their eyes, now that they are open. The hay I have is very coarse - and I know I could order some 3rd cut - but am looking what else is a quicker option. I have lots of donated colored paper & regular paper litter. I don't like it for general use - bc it sticks too much to the fur etc. I am a fan of stall pellets for typical litter use. I know all about keeping the nest changed & clean, nest box eye etc. My question is simply what can I use for some for nice lofty bedding in the box. I actually have a paper shredder at home - but do not have newspaper to feed into it - It mostly has printer paper - which I would be afraid of staples & such. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thank you.

In my experience hay is safe and great. Most breeders use it and I use it. Someone else might have another suggestion though. The doe usually lines her nest with fur anyway so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Hay practically is what rabbits evolved with, they gather dry, or even not so dry grass and make the nest. They might prefer softer hay over a course one.

Supplementing the fur if necessary is a different matter, best is to always keep a stock from brushing or from false pregnancies, it doesn't even need to be from the same rabbit. Wool can be used (I would cut it into short pieces to avoid strangling, don't know if this even an issue with wool though), or dryer lint.

Then there is that litter saver nest filler, works fine I've heard:
https://www.kwcages.com/accessories/nests/litter-saver-nest-filler.html

Attachments

• Haystache Schwarze 3 30-4-2017.jpg
    Haystache Schwarze 3 30-4-2017.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2
I always just used regular hay and brushed some of my does hair to lay in there. And then of course she plucked her own hair. It worked great :)

When I prepare nestboxes, I add about 2-3 inches of kiln-dried pine shavings, then fill in the rest (~6-7 inches) with a grass hay. You want the hay as tightly packed as possible; the doe will burrow into and displace most of it.

Thanks all. I went with just the hay (the softest I could find) Unfortunately the litter isn't going too well. Mom was unknowingly pregnant (she was a rescued stray) and received the RHDV2 vaccine while there we had the opportunity for her at the clinic ) - not sure if that had anything to do with the issue with the litter. Largest baby is 2 x the size as the next largest and 4x the size of the smallest. Just recently lost 2 of the smallest. Are syringe feeding but they continued to slowly drop weight. Have 4 left - one is definitely not out of the woods yet - some days it gains a little - but seems to be holding steady at an avg of 99g for 21 days old (flemish breed)

Latest posts

Back