suddenly very mean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonfarm

Reaction score
I have two New Zealand does who are sisters and about 6 months old. Up untill a month ago they were both in the same cage and got along fine with each other and myself. Now they are in seperate hutches and the only difference I can think of is their old hutch opened from the top and their new cages open on the side.

Here's the problem, they've both gotten very aggressive! One is worse than the other though. I always talk to them in a soft voice so I don't startle them, but lately whenever I try to put some hay or a treat in her hutch she makes an angry snarl like noise and leaps at my hand. A few times I wasn't quick enough and she's bitten and scratched like an angry cat! Help! I've never had a bunny this grouchy before! Is she going to stay like this or is there something I can do to calm her down?

friendly Sisters will often turn on each other when they begin to develop into adolescence and become hormonal. Aggressivensss in general and other negative behaviors ( and also the risk of uterine cancer) can be eliminated by having both girls spayed :)

Definitely, what Angieluv said. Females can also become agressive due to being hormonal. Being spayed will calm these behaviors.;) Definitely doesn't matter if they're related or not.:)

Does this behaivior sometimes go away on it's own? We don't have any rabbit savvy vets around here so spaying isn't really an option at this moment. Is there a way to calm them otherwise? Or just wait and see?

I guess by mentioning that they're sisters, I was wondering if sometimes the aggression is genetic, but it sounds like hormones. Thanks for the info!

There are state listings of good rabbit vets in the Library on here. Really it won't go away on it's own, it is the hormones. Also, if they don't get spayed soon, they will most likely start attacking each other.

As I said in my first post, I already have them seperated in their own cages.

And I have looked at the vet listings. I literally live in the middle of nowhere and the closest rabbit vet is several hours away.

:(

Now that you've got them separated, you may need to spend more time with each one to deter cage aggression.
Do they get run time?

Ugh, no vet anywhere around? What about scheduling the spay and neuter the same day with a vet you trust? That sounds like the best option here. Gosh, I wish for the best for the buns. Let us know what you decide.:D

I don't in any way want to deteur you from spaying them, but hormones may not be the only factor here.

I think you should try to spend some one on one time with each of them everyday. My NZ girl was spayed over a year ago, and still displays the behavior you describe. She has gotten a million times better with me, she even grooms me occasionaly and will let me pick her up but my husband doesn't spend much time with her and she has come to associate seeing him with a treat and thats it. If he even tries to pet her he gets the lunge, growl, bite. She was adopted from a shelter so I don't know what her previous life entailed but with a little extra love and attention I'm sure you can get your girls to come around. :)

They haven't gotten run time lately... since I can't pick them up to get them out of their cages w/o getting bitten!

But thanks again for all the advice. I decided to wait a little and see and just approach them gradually more each day, one on one like you said. The wierd thing is that if my 2 year old son tries to pet them they'll tense up but no aggressive behavior. I wish I knew what made them so nervous...

johnsonfarm wrote:
They haven't gotten run time lately... since I can't pick them up to get them out of their cages w/o getting bitten!
I had a very aggressive foster rabbit. I would use oven mitts to take him in and out of his cage so he could have run time. Perhaps some out of the cage time will improve their attitudes.

Oven mitts is a good idea!

One reaon she may not be agressive tword your son is his size. He is not as big and scary as an adult. If you can get her out of the cage, lay quietly on the floor in the area and let her approach and sniff you. One thing I used to do is lay on the floor on my tummy and place treats on my back and let her come to get them. When she would do that without being scared I would put the treat in my hand and just sit on the floor instead of laying down.

Let us know how it goes! It may take a while, but I'm sure the end result will be worth it. :)

I know someone that used a basket. They would let them hop in the basket. Put is on the floor and than bunnies would play. Use a treat to get them back into the basket and back to cage.

Latest posts

Back