Suddenly pooping in cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
One or both of my buns have started pooping in and near their hay area, despite having 2 litter boxes in their condo that are freshly cleaned daily. They do still poop in the litter boxes, but the pooping in the cage is very new.

Any idea why they're doing this? And how do I stop it?

How long have they been bonded? It could possbibly be that one of them starting to get territorial and marking with poops. No changes lately? litter or rearranging of the cage?

Just a guess.

They've been bonded 3 months. We did try leaving the cage door open at night the night it happened. We wanted to see if they liked roaming their safe room at night. Maybe it made them mad? I closed them in last night and they still pooped outside the box. Little stinkers!

Do you think something as simple as leaving their door open would cause them to do this?

Maybe try not cleaning their dirt boxes for a couple of days. Put up with the smell. That way if they are establishing territory the boxes will have a smell. Can one of them still be trying to be the alfa female even though she has been neutered?

Cinnabun is a spayed female of unknown age, but guessing 3 years or so. Rodger is a 1 year old neutered male they've been bonded 3 months and get along very well.

I did get some insight tonight. I put them in their cage, and they ate some hay. Rodger hopped into one of the 2 potties, then Cinnabun decided she wanted in that same potty. When she couldn't fit, she hopped past the unoccupied potty and pooped next to it!!

Is this a bunny temper tantrum? Both potties are identical, with identical litter.

I'm stumped.

Latest posts

Back