sudden passing days after molar filing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuttymeg

Reaction score
I will start at the beginning incase it has anything to do with her passing. She was 4.5 years old,not spayed. She had wicked stasis,i was getting after meds were given for it dozens of long poops strung together,some the width of my hand. Her stasis did clear up but her eating didnt pick up. So i had the thought it had to be teeth related. So took her to a clinic where her teeth were checked and she did have a few minor molar spurs,this was on dec21st,dec 22nd she went in for the surgery and everything appeared fine. They did say her vulva was very swollen,red,had pus so they cleaned her up. She was sent home. So thursday evening she did eat some hay she ate her greens and very small amount of pellets. At the clinic they told me she didnt have any poop,but at home she did in her litter pan and pee as well. This was into saturday. Saturday she took her banana with much excitement came running for it. Saturday night we topped up her water as she drank it all,gave her hay etc. Sunday morning nothing was touched and i noticed she wasnt well. I took her temp it was 99.2 so i worked to get that up to 101,which it didnt stay there,it dropped to 100.4 but did stay at that all day. Did everything i could think of for her meds belly massaging etc. Now during the massaging a did find a mass on her left side almost central,not sure if it was mammary or not. Our house was very cold with the storm we were having,so im not sure if this had a play in her not metabolosing the anesthesia. But i would think in a day after that would have been out of her system? I am at a complete loss over losing her,I really thought i was doing the right thing for her and it took her life. Has anyone had a rabbit pass away 3 days after being put under? It makes me very fearful to put any others under and i have 6 rabbits at home.

I rather think the reason for the problems popping up is responsible for her demise, they are so great in hiding problems that when we notice it's already pretty bad, so quite often it seems that they go downhill fast once we notice, even if there are ups and downs. If it was cancer imho there wasn't much to be done once it metastasized and effected other organs. Poops strung together most times is the reault of too much ingested fur, could be due to molting or excessive grooming due to discomfort, or, I guess, something with the digestion didn't work properly anymore.

I wouldn't think that the anaesthesia was the cause here. Even if you get anecdotal reports about similiar events, many rabbits that get treated have some issue, and some of them die, one way or the other.

Back