Sudden onset of stasis symptoms. What would you do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Based on the situation, I'd like to know people's suggestion(s) for what I might try for my stasis-prone Mini Rex, Emma.

Up until yesterday, Emma had good fecal production. Last night, when I changed her litter box, I noticed that many of her fecals were smaller and drier than normal, but I didn't feel panicky about it.

This morning, I feel more panicky. The fecals Emma passed overnight are tiny. She also passed a pile of tiny fecals on her pen floor, which is highly unusual for her.

Emma just went through treatment for stasis from late May through mid-June, and I didn't want to put her back on motility drugs again so soon. Plus, her vet doesn't want me starting motility drugs without discussing the issue with her first. (Being it's a Sunday, I can't speak with the vet today.)

This morning, I gave Emma Simethicone (1 mL) and Metacam (.30 mL) in case there's any gas build-up and/or any discomfort due to the digestive slowdown. I'm also considering giving her sub-Q fluids, since her fecals turned dry so suddenly.

NOTE: I stopped feeding Emma pellets in late May and haven't decided if I'll try her on them again, since her gut dries out so easily. So I can't even blame pellets for this current slowdown. Also, her teeth looked fine during her vet exam in late May.

Thank you,

Jenk

LakeCondo wrote:
I think you might want to add some gentle tummy rubs. Also raw pineapple with a little olive oil in it.
I have massaged her a bit along her digestive tract. I couldn't feel any gas break up, but I will give her more Simethicone today.

Considering Emma's sensitivities, I won't give her pineapple. But I did give her Bromelain (powder) mixed with Critical Care last night. Now I'm wondering if that upset her gut, even though she used to get Bromelain and Critical Care on a regular basis in the past.

I've also given her EVOO in the past but am starting to believe that it doesn't work for her as it does for most rabbits.

Jenk

I don't know about the olive oil idea. Maybe a little on the pinapple is ok, but I've heard of bunnies aspirating it.

Do you give Emma lots of greens/veggies? Whenever I see ours getting small fecals I give lots of veggies and its been a huge help when we've had really bad actual stasis.

Does she drink alot of water? Water is a huge help-maybe if you know how to give sub-q's yourself that would help-when my bunny's system was all backed up and she had horrible stasis, the sub-q's worked like a charm.

Does she get lots of exercise? That really also can help keep things moving smoothly.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Do you give Emma lots of greens/veggies? Whenever I see ours getting small fecals I give lots of veggies and its been a huge help when we've had really bad actual stasis.
Emma does get wet leafy greens in the morning and evening. She receives about 1-1.5 C. of greens. Considering that she's less than 3.5 lbs., even 1 C. seems like a good amount. If I push more than that, she eats less hay and tends to have digestive issues.

Does she drink alot of water? Water is a huge help-maybe if you know how to give sub-q's yourself that would help-when my bunny's system was all backed up and she had horrible stasis, the sub-q's worked like a charm.
Emma is an iffy water drinker. But even when she drinks what should be a good amount--at least 100 mL's in 24 hours, that doesn't mean she won't experience stasis. In fact, I've been syringing her extra water (with a little Critical Care) for the past few weeks. My hope was that doing so would help her avoid stasis, but I think the combo. of increased heat and recent July 4th fireworks undid my work. :(

I definitely know how to give sub-Q's. I had to learn because Emma's sister, Zoe (RIP), had megacolon. So between the two of them, I couldn't afford to have a vet always giving fluids. And I did give Emma sub-Q's this morning and probably will give them to her again tonight.

What's strange is that Emma's system shouldn't be dehydrated at this point. Every time she goes through stasis like this, it's as if some portion of her digestive tract simply stops working for a spell. But, of course, that situation causes larger problems.

Does she get lots of exercise? That really also can help keep things moving smoothly.
Emma gets approximately 2.5 hours out of her pen every day. (We have another bun who's not bonded to her, and, so, they need separate time out for exercise.)

For the next few days, I will encourage Emma to move more than usual. She's still alert and moving around to an okay extent, but extra exercise will only help her, I know.

Thanks,

Jenk

Back