Sudden onset lethargy, excessive water consumption

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIpitydane

Reaction score
My friend adopted a bun who was to be euthed at our local shelter last week. The bun seemed completely healthy and passed her physical and fecal fine. She has her confined to a bedroom away from her other bun. Last night she called and said that she came home to find that the rescue baby was extremely lethargic and had emptied her water bottle. She filled the water bottle and the rabbit drank until it was nearly empty again and this is a large bottle. She has a slight discharge from her eyes. Poops are normal and plenty and pee is normal but excessive...she is eating timothy hay and pellets. Our emergency clinic here does not see rabbit's so it will be tomorrow morning before the bun is seen but I have a bad feeling about it. Any ideas? She was picked up as a stray after our rounds of severe weather here in the south so we have no real history on her. We do know however that she is very young....she's a new zealand and looks no more than about 10 weeks old.

Normally you will get a GI disturbance in a young rabbit of that age but you have stated that poops are normal and so is appetite.
I don't know what this is but I do know that lethargy, drinking large amounts of water and excessive peeing is an indication of kidney disease in an adult mammal.

it doesn't sound good to me either :(. is the bun still lethargic. ?

Getting a blood panel on this bun will help with a diagnosis because it helps the vet know how the bunny's organs are working

let us know

I agree with Angieluv. Excessive drinking, urinating and lethargy are usually a sign of kidney problems in cats and dogs as I expeireinced it in the 12 years I worked in the vet field. I am not sure about rabbits but this is still not good. And YES a full blood panel will tell.

Very anxiuos to hear back.

I just found out when my bin yuki passes that his kidneys were misformed and that's why he drank so much so kidney is a real possibility I hope everything is good

Lethargy is always a sign that requires emergency vet treatment. I too suspect kidney issues. Is there a chance he could have gotten into anything? There are some things that are diuretic (make you pee)and also can reduce alertness. One thing that comes immediately to mind is ethanol, but of course there are others that are more likely for a bunny to get into. Check for any poisons in the area the bun was in.

Back