Sudden death-why?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anet

Reaction score
:(My three year old rabbit died earliertoday. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has anyinsight. Wheezer was totally fine as of 12:00midnight when Igave him his usual treat to get him back in his condo. Hespent the evening running around the house as usual and was eating fineand had normal droppings. When I went to bring him some freshvegies at breakfast (8:00am), he was laying flat on his stomach and oneof his front legs was shaking. His eyes were clear as was hisnose. He refused all food and treats and hopped into thecorner. I did notice that his hop looked a little differentin that his back end seemed to drag some. I decided to go tothe store and buy a variety of appetizing vegies to try and coax him toeat. I figured if he wasn't eating by afternoon, I'd call thevet. When I got home I found him dead, laying on hisside.

My initial thought was that Wheezer maybe had a stroke, but he seemed too young. He was however, overweight somewhat.

Wheezer was raised with his brother, Stymie. Stymie seems OK,but I am worried that he may possibly have contracted somethingcontagious from Wheezer. My rabbit vet is not in for the nextfew days so I can't ask her.

Their diet is mostly timothy hay and fresh greens. They weregive 1/2 cup of pellets per day for both of them. They bothare allowed out whenever I am home so they are out of their 3-storycondo lots. If anyone else has ever experienced a suddenrabbit death like this, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Myheart is broken, but I'm really confused at the same time.

Thanks for your time.

I'm very sorry for the loss of Wheezer. I'm notsure what would have brought this on, but one of our rabbit experts mayhave some ideas.

Again, so sorry.

Without a necropsy, an accurate guess can'treally be ventured. Heart problems are common in rabbits, astroke could be another possibility.

Pam

Im very sorry to hear of your loss.

Im no expert, but from what you've said, it sounds like Wheezer hadeither a stroke or a seizure. (Please don't quote me, it is only aguess)

Unfortunately, when Rabbits get sick etc.., they can go down hillextremely quick, sometimes there is not enough time for a vet (whichhas happened to me).

I would get your other bun to the vets asap, to have a thorough check-up.

I'm sorry for your loss. In some areasof the US, you can contact your local County Extension Office to havean necroscopy done for a small fee.

I am so sorry for your loss. I canunderstand how you are feeling. Sadly, last May I lost a doe suddenly.The only way I ever found out what caused it was I called the breederand one of my does pasted in the same way. He had anecropsydone and it was a congenital heart defect.

With out the necropy like Pam said it's hard to venture aguess. Keep an eye on Stymie. If anything seems out of the ordinarycontact the vet.

Animals also grieve so be watchful of Stymie. Apollo mournedAthena's passing. He didn't eat or drink as much for over a week. I hadto give him some Nutrical to boost his appetite.

I am so very sorry.

Tina

I'm very sorry for your loss. I toojust lost a bunny. He died fairly suddenly from complicationsfrom seizures. His passing was not as sudden as your bun'sbut I can certainly feel your pain.

Is it possible he may have gotten into something that could havepoisoned him while he was out last night? When Harold firststarted having seizures I tore my apartment apart looking for anythingthat he could've ingested. If it's even a slight possibilityI would do a thorough check, especially since you have another bun thathas access to the same areas. Some plants can be poisonous tobunnies, so check houseplants for nibbles as well. Isincerely hope it isn't something that is contagious. Losingtwo buns suddenly would be extremely hard. Good luck!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I recently lost mybun very suddenly - just 3 1/2 weeks after I adopted her at the age of15 months. They are such fragile creatures, and they tend to hide theirsymptoms which makes it harder to figure out whats going on with them.
It is a bit of a consolation that when they go quickly like that, their suffering is minimal. But it is just as painful for you.
It sounds like he enjoyed himself up to the end, and you provided himwith a happy, comfortable life. My prayers are with you and Stymie thatyou will have peace of heart and warm memories of Wheezer.
:bunnyangel:

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply!I cannot tell you how much better I felt after reading yourposts. None of my friends like rabbits and have theattituide, "Oh, it's just a rabbit. Get over it."It is nice to find some people who actually love theirrabbits!

Thanks, too, for all the great ideas. I am looking intogetting a necropsy done. I am also keeping a watchful eye onStymie, and giving him some Nutrical which is a good idea. Ido have a cat (Squeaky) who is friends with the rabbits. I amhopeful that Squeaky will help Stymie in dealing with the loss of hisbrother.

It's really nice to know that there are still so many good people inthe world, who would write a stranger and sent sympathies andadvice.
:angel:

Thanks Pet_Bunny for the Rainbow Bridge link...I've read the peom, butnever saw it in action. It certainly is good for the heart!

I am so sorry about your lost. Wheezeris over the Rainbow Bridge watching over you as we speak. Hugs from me,and licks from Emmy

:tears2:

:(I am so sorry. Just remember the good times. Never forget Wheezer

You said he was not walking quite right in thehind end so as well as a stroke or heart problem, he could have injuredhis spine. Rabbits have been know to break their backs oreven sprain them severly just while jumping and playing.Rabbits are also like people, some live long healthy lives and somegive out at a relatively young age. You said his diet wasmostly hay and veggies. Some rabbits will do a whole lotbetter on a basic diet of a good brand of pellets, unlimited hay, andveggies as treats. Sorry for your loss.

Oh I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Joon about 4 months ago and it's hard to loose a fuzzy family member.

Austin said what I was going to say about the back. They can break itvery easily from a jump or fall and it causes them to drag their backhalf. I hope you find out what happened.

Latest posts

Back