Sudden Death of 2 of my kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dublinperky

Reaction score
I am sorry I haven't posted this sooner I have been really upset. 2 out of the nine my 9 kits have died. One died on Tuesday and the other on Thursday night. They both seemed to have the same symptoms. Through the day they seemed very tired and didn't hang with the rest of the babies. Then later on it would only lay on its side and seemed to weak to hold its head. If you tried to pick it up it wold get like little spazzums that looked like little seizures. The first one we tried to let him nurse with Nessa on his own to see if he wasn't getting enough milk. He wasn't even strong enough to nurse though. Then we tried to feed some KMR and goats milk mix that we have been feeding the cottontails. It didn't help and he died in my arms. The second on Thursday I noticed later on because I had not had the bunnies out to play in the house yet because I was at a thing for school. When I went to check on it it was almost died. Before I could even do anything he was dead in my moms arms. Today another one is acting the same way that the first one was (when it seemed tired and wouldn't hang with the others). I have been letting him nurse with Nessa right now since he still seems to be strong enough. I just don't know what could be happening or even what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also posting this same thread in the infirmary section if that is a better place for it.

Aly :pray:

They are 3 weeks old today so they died around 2 and a half weeks old. They have been eating only their mom's milk...
There is good news though the one I thought might have the same thing is doing h=fine and jumping around. Oh and I forgot to mention in my post that they were the two smallest in the litter so I thought that might have something to do with it.

Aly!

With a litter that big, it's possible that they were the runts and were not strong enough to compete for food.

i have had this happen before and it was because they where not getting enough milk from the mom. i thought she was feeding them because they where getting bigger but then one day i found all three of the kits just like your babies, very weak and just lying on their sides. they all didn't make it. Just make sure the mom is really feeding them and they are getting enough from her.

Latest posts

Back