Sudden Balance Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipcha

Reaction score
I'm posting this for a friend of mine, so this is not my bunny.

They took their bunny in to the emergency vet at 3 a.m. last night. Around 12 a.m. he was acting a little off and not wanting the eat so they wrapped him up and cuddled with him for a bit. It seemed to help so they put him back in his x-pen and when he went to take a basil leaf he fell over on his back.

His temp was low (37.5), both his ears seem swollen. They thought maybe he didn't have a head tilt since it was in both ears.

He is currently on Baytril and Metacam. He is eating but not as much as normal. He's a 2 year old Lop and has only had one case of digestive upset in the past, but not this.

Hopefully someone can provide some insight, our regular vets are all closed today. Luckily I am going in for a rabbit first aid course from our normal vet so I can ask opinions, but otherswise they're a little stuck.

Tell your friend to make sure he's getting Benebac or another probiotic as well and that he's still getting enough to eat. He may need syringe feeding to help him stay healthy. They should follow up with their regular bunny vet, the bunny may need ear drops or something else added.

I'm so sorry to hear that your friend's bun is not doing so well. I have heard that an inner ear infection can cause balance issues and pain (which may explain tipping over and a reluctance to eat/act normally). The vet might recommend that an ear swab be taken and sent off to the lab to identify bacteria present (this has happened to one of my buns in the past). Definitely follow up with a bunny-savvy vet ASAP and please keep us posted. Hang in there!

Inner ear infection in both ears can still cause balance problems without an actual tilting of the head. It is probably inner ear infection on both sides, and should be treated aggressively with antibiotics, along with critical care and/or probiotics to make sure he will eat. I'd check for nystagmus in the eyes.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Back