successful rabbit bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieDoodle

Reaction score
:bunnyhug:

suggestions and steps to take to successfully bond 2 rabbits?

I have a one year old female spayed flemish giant and id like to get her a male neutered friend for when i work full time this summer she wont be bored.

im scared it wont work and them im stuck with 2 huge rabbits needing 2 huge seperate cages bec my one rabbits cage already takes up half my room..haha

has anyone had it not work? my female is quite dominant and territorial.
:bunnyhug:

I understand your fear of the bond not taking. Rabbit rescues often allow bunny "dates." This way your bun can go meet some potential mates. The rescues typically help you through the process and if the chosen bun just isn't working after all, they will allow you to exchange that one for another one.
I have done this myself on more than one occasion. Sometimes those early "positive" signs aren't a guarantee of a bond. So having the option of exchanging the attempted bondmate is a peace of mind for you.

thanks! ya i dont want either bunny to be stressed out all the time if they hate each other...and my bunny now is quite the diva...sigh haha i just think she will be happier with a mate while im at work. im going through a rescue, just sent in my application so fingers crossed!

thanks!

I did have a case where my bonding didnt work but looking back I think it was obvious from the first "Date" it wasnt going to pan out the way we wanted. If you meet enough bunnies and really pay close attention to how they act with eachother then it shouldnt be super difficult. but make sure youre looking for a bunny that is going to fit with her (especially with her dominant personality) and dont just go with a rabbit that YOU like. (that was my mistake)

My Sapphire is also quite the diva. When her mate passed away, I went through a rescue to find her a new mate. One male seemed to show all the right signs. He was even grooming her before we left the rescue. Unfortunately, when we got her back home, she became the wicked woman. Even in neutral territory, she wanted nothing to do with him. He was so sweet and tolerant of her, but eventually even he had had enough. It became clear that they were not going to work as they wanted to attack each other at any opportunity.
We brought them back to the rescue, exchanged him for another boy (2 actually, but that's a long story). In short, we ended up with Mocha. Sapphire seemed to like him straight from the git go.

Be sure to reserve a few neutral territories in case you need to exchange a bun and start again. That neutral territory is key.

If your female is dominant and territorial, then you'll want to work on finding a male that is submissive, so that when she beats him up, he's going to take it and be put in his place, rather than fighting back to try and get dominance himself. Best of luck with it though, I'm sure the rescue knows their rabbits well to be able to try and make a match for you.

Oh since you're in Burlington I wonder which rescue you're going through lol.
Rabbit Rescue does not allow bunny dates but they do have a 3 month exchange period that is if that's the rescue that you're in contact with.

My female rabbit is very territorial and dominant and coincidentally my male is also dominant so I've been bonding them since December and baby steps to a good relationship. Just know, there are some on here that have had very quick bonds, I'm talking a few weeks to a month, but everyone I am in contact with in Rabbit Rescue has taken anywhere from 4 months to even a year and a half to bond their buns.

It does take patience! I hope all goes well though :) Post pictures of the new addition!!

Latest posts

Back