Successful bonding for buns who don't get along?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
So we have a 10 month old neutered male who was bonded to his brother until they hit puberty and began to fight. He has been a single bun ever since.

We adopted a spayed female bun (age unknown, but acts young) and tried to bond them. We took them for a car ride together in a carrier from a neutral house and put them in cages next to one another during the night, and a 3rd cage during the day. The boy kept trying to hump the girl, and she had enough and began to fight with him.

He ended up clawing her nose and she had to have a surgical repair.

We kept them in separate rooms for a few weeks.

Then, we put them in side by side X-pens and he once again swatted her nose, which was ANOTHER surgery. Sigh.

That was 3 weeks ago. So now we tried the X-Pens again. They pretty much ignore each other, so today I put the X-pens close enough to touch. Of course, the girl sticks her nose through the slat and the boy tries to swat again.

Is this a hopeless case? Is there another way? I don't want the girl to get hurt again. But if we can't bond them, I will probably have to give the girl up (we have 3 other buns, 2 cats and 2 birds. I can't do anymore!).

Any suggestions are welcome!

So sorry you are having so much trouble with these two. I don't have much experience with bonding but I would think that these two just are not meant to be. Even if you could get them to bond it could always be fragile and you might never be able to trust them alone :(

Latest posts

Back