Success?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuu

Reaction score
This seems too good to be true - it probably is. I tried bonding Tyr and Loki today for the first time since Tyr was neutered. I put them both in the bathtub at the same time. It started off with them ignoring each other and just generally exploring what little there was of the tub. After about 10-15 minutes of that, they gave each other about 5 seconds of grooming. Then the fun started. Tyr began humping Loki but I assume in a dominant way. Either that or he's not too bright. He was mounting her from the side a few times. After a few minutes of him mounting her off and on, he flopped over and Loki started grooming him. Within a minute of that, she made to mount him. Quick as a bunny, he jumped up and had his way with her. Initially, she ran but after a couple seconds she just let him go at it. I was in there about 45 minutes - an hour with them. No fights brokeout and Tyr just ripped some fur from Loki while he was mounting.

I now have them down here beside me in their playpen and Tyr is just flopped over while Loki runs around a bit. Could it be possible they bonded in an hour? I've never heard of such a thing. It's true their cages have been right beside each other ever since Tyr came home.

At this moment Tyr is chasing Loki but Loki seems to be egging him on. I'm not sure if she thinks it's a game. There doesn't appear to be any violent intent. It was probably just a bout of tag since they seem to have stopped in the time it took me to write this.

Anyways, any input is greatly appreciated. I'm reluctant to seperate them now, though. :?

I wouldn't leave them together unsupervised forlong at this point. Even when first dates go REALLY well there can be some problems. Since their cages are near eachother and have been for a while it'll probably be easier and the date sounded like it went well. You won't undo any of your work byseperating them when you're not nearby. If you work with them a couple of sessions everyday you should be able to get a better idea of how they're going to react. If they're both young feelings can change pretty quickly, even with neutered bunnies.If there's still active humping and chasing often I would be cautious about leaving them together unsupervised because someone might take it a little too far and there could be a lover's spat. But it sounds like you're on the way to having a bonded pair!

Sounds to me like you're well on your way to having a bonded pair. All the mounting is them trying to establish who is the dominant rabbit, it's not sexual by any means. My own rabbit still do it now and then.

For now, keep them in their own cages (basically everything Eeem said), but they should be able to be together soon. Congrats! :)

Thanks for the info, guys.

They're both around 6 months are obviously altered. I didn't reallynotice any adolesent behaviour from either of them and they seem to bea little old to start any time soon. Hopefully.

They spent 4 hours together last night. Some chasing persisted but bythe end of the night they calmed down. I returned them to their cagesand they promptly had a lay-down.

I took them out again today and gave them hay, a litter box and water.They've been in there 6 and a half hours so far. Most of the afternoonthey spent snoozing in their carrier together. I gave them their saladsnot long ago and they ate out of the same bowl no problem. There was nochasing today and Tyr only tried mounting Loki once or twice. They'vebeen grooming each other off and on (Loki has become demanding in thatdepartment). They're really completely comfortable with each other.

My questions are, when can I be sure they can be housed togetherwithout it backfiring? I have yet to build the NIC cage but I couldhave it done by the weekend if I can find someone to take the remaining4 fish in my 75 gallon aquarium (Those fish have been in there over ayear. I don't know how they've lasted this long). The NIC cage will begoing where the tank currently is. I don't want to put Tyr in Loki'scage. I'd rather put them together when everything's new for both ofthem and the only thing familiar is each other. Am I just looking at atrial run? Put them in there in the morning and if everything goes wellleave them in there overnight?
Secondly, I've read on a site about bonding that once they're bondedthey shouldn't be seperated since it could break the bond. They will bespending most of the day together until the new cage but nightsseperate. Should I really worry? I'm assuming they'll be fine sinceit's a new friendship and they're used to sleeping alone.

I kept my two in cages next to each other untilI was comfortable. Have you let them explore each otherscages? Mine would snuggle and play in each others cagesduring play time. When I saw them do that for a while, I letMocha stay in Loki's cage. She had been insisting on it fromthe beginning anyway.

I would but it seems a little pointless sincethey won't be living in either cage. It's a really good idea and Iwould if I'd be keeping a cage, but since they're getting a new oneI'll let them explore it together. Thanks for the idea.

The reason I suggested it is that it showswhether they will get territorial over their food, litterboxes, andtoys. I've also heard of switching their cages for a weekbefore putting them in the same cage together.

They're still a little young to be completelycertain that the bonding really takes hold. I've heard ofpeople having baby rabbits that grew up together and decided to startspatting at 8-10 months old. I don't know how typical thatis, but be aware that it can happen. And these buns werealtered as well.

I would continue with the supervised play everyday for at least a fewmore days. The fact that there's still chasing is somethingto be cautious about. There might always be a little humpingand chasing even when they're firmly bonded, just to reaffirmdominance, but since they're so recently introduced the chasing issomething that could escalate into aggressive behavior.

The whole thing about keeping bonded pairs together, as I understand,is that if you take one away from the other to a place like the vet, orout and about, they can come back smelling very different and the bondmight be broken. But seperating them at night in cages thatare next to each other will not have the same effect. So youdefinitely do not have to worry about ruining the work you've beendoing.

It sounds like they're doing really well, especially having beentogether for 6 hours, but I would still hold off a few days beforeleaving them unsupervised. What was suggested to me by anexperienced bunny bonder when I was working with Howie and Judy was tohave a 48 hour trial period. Put them in the space where theywill be living together, so in your case the big cage and the run areathey will normally have, and take out their old cages.Supervise them fairly closely for the first 5-8 hours, then little bylittle give them more time alone. If all seems to be goingwell leave them overnight, but preferably be within ear shot ifscuffling were to occur. The second day give them theirspace, just checking in once in a while. Let them cement thatbond without your interference. If at the end of 2-3 daysyou've had no scuffling and all seems to be going well you can leavethem permanently together. But with your kids being youngstill I would keep a close eye on them. They may decide torebel one of these days.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back