Sub Q fluids

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I am learning how to give Chase sub q fluids on thrusday and I am really nervous. I watched the video in the library and I thought I was going to be sick. Watching the needle really bothers me but it isn't like I can do it with my eyes closed. I just hope I can do this. I stopped working as a nurse because I couldn't do blood sugars.

So please tell me your stories. How do you give them? How do you keep your bun still? Is there a trick you have learned to make it easier? I will be doing this by myself.

Thanks

I had to give sub q fluids to Flash last year. When the vet was telling me how to do this my mind was spinning, they think we're vet tech's sometimes. When I got him home I looked for a place I could hang the bag and put a chair there with Flash in his carrier. I have the carrier that the top opens it made things very easy and he wouldn't or couldn't move much.

I'd get everything in place then get Flash and get the needle in the 'tent' I made behind his shoulder blades. I had to 'push' the fluids thru which didn't take as much time as the drip would. I would let him know how good he was with pets and before ya know it's done.

Sometimes we have to do what seems to be impossible but we alwaysget thru it for our pets. You'll do fine.

No personal experience (yet!)
but...
My parents have found with their diabetic puss that giving insulin with the smallest guage needle (thinnest metal) is the easiest on a very aggressive cat... barely notices it.. no flinching.

I had to learn how to give Nick fluids last summer. The vet tech showed me, but she basically just described what she was doing while she did it, then handed me the bag and a handful of needles.

The first time was a disaster, ended up sticking myself twice, and I had been nervous to start with, so I just gave up.

The next day I did better, and got the fluids into Nick. I was still really nervous, but he sat still for it and everything was ok. I did do the sub-q two more times. One of those times Nick moved, and the needle came out, but he was ok.

I do all my "medical" bunny stuff in a small (closet sized) room so there isn't a chance of them running away. Also, I placed Nick on a towel and draped one side of it over his head to calm him a bit.

I know , it makes me queezy as well, but if my bun were that sick, I think I would do it and not think twice! Also, I'd be so scared that I wouldn't think twice. Poor bunny. I would think, and do anything I could to help the baby.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Here's some research I have done on Sub Q, it might help you now. (In case you didn't see these.)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=36849&forum_id=25

[ame=http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=De4bkp9ISdw&feature=related]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=De4bkp9ISdw&feature=related[/ame]

I had to learn to do this last year and it wasn't as awful as I thought it would be. I was terribly nervous but my rabbit took it really well. The vet tech showed me how to do it and then let me do it while she talked me through it (we ended up poking her twice at the office because they wanted to get a lot of fluid in herand had to use two different spots to do it anyway). I would recommend doing it at the office with them if you can because that will help your confidence.

Also, once you are home, make sure you set up your area where you can hang the bag. I hung it on the cage. I'd also try to recruit a friend to help. My neighbor helped me hold her so that I could give the sub-q fluids. This helped the first few times I did it.

Thanks everyone for the links and videos. I am really trying to learn everything I can before Thursday so I will be more comfortable. I talked to the vet today and we decided I would try to do the sub q fluids every other day. I am going to do it no matter how hard it is and if I pass out I will just pick myself up and try again. Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach.

I maybe able to get my dad to help but that will only be on the weekends. During the week I will have to do it by myself. I am going to try and find a small box I can put Chase in so she doesn't move and then put the box in the bath tub and hang the bag from the shower curtain rod. All my carriers only open from the front. But if the box doesn't work I will go out and get one that opens from the top.

I appreciate the stories you have posted here. To know that other people were able to do this and were nervous helps.

I was plenty nervous......I was a bit nauseous, and sweating like crazy, and short of breath! But I think the whole process was more difficult for me than for Nick. I felt really bad the time Nick moved and the needle came out, and once when I took the needle out he bled a little bit. But Nick didn't seem to notice as much as I did.

If Chase is calm in the box, it will be easier for you, you won't have to worry about that on top of the other stuff. Maybe if your dad helps you on the weekend, it will help make you more comfortable.

Just think of how much good you will be doing for Chase by getting fluids in.
You can do it!!!

Had an experience with 1 bunn becoming very stressed by his stressed-out guardian who did several sub-Q treatments. He was going into gut shutdown. Once the fluids were thought out to a different plan (oral intake, large water crock), the bunn recovered. Stress can play a significant role.

:bump Bump for hln917 :bump

The first time I Sub Q Pebbles, I jabbed myself with the needle, because I couldn't get the cap off the needle. :p After a few times, things got really easy.

There are a couple of learning components that aren't mentioned here. Learning how to do the needle is one thing. But you need to learn when to give fluids and when NOT to give fluids. Fluids can be deadly if administered during CHF or head and/or internal trauma. You also need to learn how much fluids to give and how to calculate them...this is technically a drug so dosing is important. You also need to know what type of fluids to administer....there are hypertonic, isotonic and hypotonic fluids and each has a different purpose depending on what needs to be done.

As far as needles, a 21g is the best all around size. I use butterfly catheters with a flexible tube. I use large syringes with luer locks to "push" the fluids.

But my point here is that fluids are not the answer in every situation but can be a life saver when fluids are indicated. It's much more than a needle stick.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
There are a couple of learning components that aren't mentioned here. You also need to learn how much fluids to give and how to calculate them... You also need to know what type of fluids to administer....
As far as needles, a 21g is the best all around size. I use butterfly catheters with a flexible tube. I use large syringes with luer locks to "push" the fluids.
For an average person like me, I would consult or be under the guidance of a tech or vet before I give anything to my bunnies.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
ra7751 wrote:
There are a couple of learning components that aren't mentioned here. You also need to learn how much fluids to give and how to calculate them... You also need to know what type of fluids to administer....
For an average person like me, I would consult or be under the guidance of a tech or vet before I give anything to my bunnies.
I would definitely wait to consult with a dr. before administering it. Thanks for bumping the thread. I still have to work up the nerve to watch it. If anything, I'll make hubby watch it. Needles and mehave a bad relationship butI'm sure forthe life of my bunnies, I'll do it.

I can assure you that nobody on the forum was more "anti-needle" than me. My knees would shake and I would break out in a sweat. But I quickly realized the benefits of being able to do these treatments...and knowing how to do these infusions will also allow you to use medications that are not safe when given orally. It is certainly an "acquired talent" but a very valuable one. Now, I don't even think about the stick....and would rather stick them than force oral meds.

Randy

In addition, remember that the fluids should be at body temp (around 100F or 38C) to prevent hypothermia. I haven't ever done it, but I also would like to see a vet do it before trying myself. I know that you can do it!

tonyshuman wrote:
the fluids should be at body temp (around 100F or 38C) to prevent hypothermia.
That's right. The vet told me to put the syringe into the microwave (7 seconds for me) and warm it up just slightly, so it doesn't feel cold against your skin.

Latest posts

Back