stupid question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
when i first bought Ivory, i wasnt told whatgender she was...so i went home and self-determined it was a female...iwas, however, told that when rabbits are young, its hard to determinegender. so more recently, i decided to "recheck" using an internetsite. however, it now seems like Ivory is a boy. is that a commonmistake? or am i just incapable of determining the gender of a rabbit?is there any way i can be sure? should i take her to a vet to check?*shrug* (note how i still call Ivory a her)

Not a stupid question :) Do you seetesticles about the size of grapes on either side slightly forward ofthe genital area? You will also note scent glands on eitherside of the genitals -- the scent glands are evident in both sexes.

Pam

thats what first got me curious....i wascomparing images on the net, and realized that ivory looked more likethe male picture than the female...but i didnt see that when i checkedher when i first got her...and im still calling it a her...grrrrrrrrrrwhich is funny cuz all my other pets (besides my fish which im notquite sure) are boys

We were told Pauly was a girl by the vet untilthe day we took him (or her, as we thought) in to be spayed. The doctorcalled my boyfriend and told him that Pauly was fine, but she was infact a he.TheDr. saidPauly had--forgive me--thesmallest set of testicles he'd ever seen on a rabbit.

Sometimes he teases Pauly when he comes in that he'd nuetered a dwarfrabbit earlier in the day that put Pauly to shame. He also jokes withmy fiance about coming to terms with Pauly's shortcomings. It's funny.Luckily, Pauly (and his mom & dad) have a sense of humor.

when i went to get a rabbit i told the woman ineeded a female , so we caecked all the buns and i ended up pickinglyla :Dwell i took her to the vet to get her health check andhe was like lets see what sex it is i was like its a female he lookedand said wow they actually got one right. i was like thank god i alradynamed her but it was surprising the way he said it.

In trying to sex bunnies a bit too young, I'vemessed up.....especially in the dwarfs. Everything issmaller, especially at that point. But, I was told that whenyou apply some pressure to each side of the genital area, the openingon a female should appear to be more of a "slit".....on a male, more ofa "circle".But, you have to be careful in how youapply the pressure, or you can make a circle appear to look more like aslit. My granddaughter was actually better at sexing bunnieswhen she was about 4 than I was, cuz I usually didn't have my glasseson when I was out working with the rabbits. She may have beeneven younger than that. And I used proper terms foreverything...so did she.

And, yes, there have been a couple dwarf bucks who could have put most any other buck on the place to shame.

Sexing is difficult at best and even experiencedbreeders sometimes make mistakes. I thought I had two bewpolish does, as I sexed the litter at 3-4 weeks as I usuallydo. Well, now 2 months later, my two "girls" are now boys asall the right stuff has dropped and is visible. Veryembarassing situation. I am only hoping that the "buck" Isold at 8 weeks is still a "buck" but since I haven't heard anything Iam keeping my fingers crossed. When sexing at 3-4 weeks, boyslook like the end of a trumpet. But as stated, if you presstoo hard the slit will curl up and look like a boy. I usuallyhave my son recheck my sexing, for some reason, it seems the kids cando it better and more accuratly then us dottering, failing eyesightadults. LOL So, anyone in need of a bew polishbuck? Donna

LOL.

I thought "Pip" was a girl too... that's what the pet store people toldme and that is what appeared to be true. However, a few daysback, I noticed two little lumps -- it scared me at first because Iwasn't sure what they were (duh :p)... well, now we know

kinda hard to get a photo seeing as Ivory isntexactly the most enthusiastic about being held upside down. tried tolook at all those trancing sites, but none of 'em work with Ivory. =\

Latest posts

Back