Stupid hubby - shouldn'ta listened to him!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
I managed to put Popcorn outside inan Xpen - he was skiddish at first, but then he seemed less nervous after a little while. Hubby says "Why don't we let Peaches out and Popcorn will see him and be less nervous" I knew I shouldn't ever listen to him. Peaches was outside and wandering around, he'd go near the cage & & sniff. Well once Popcorn got wind of him, he went to him. At first, he seemed to just sniff him - they looked amicable. I praised them both for good behavious. The next time, Peaches approaches the cage, Popcorn grunts, and starts boxing Peaches through the grid. I separate them & they go their separate ways.

Now this can't be good for bonding. Peaches is very easy-going, Popcorn's been aggressive like this since we first got him. Both were fixed long enough for the hormones to have died. This was basically neutral territory too - Popcorn had been in the Xpen for maybe 15 minutes before Peaches showed up.

Does this mean that I'll never be able to bond them together? Popcorn seems to be really aggresive anytime Peaches is near. Peaches is very non-confrontational it seems and more open to meeting a non-aggressive friend - I mean he'll fight back if it comes to that, but I doubt he'd initiate the fight. How can I bond them if even this neutral territory is means for aggression from Popcorn? Would putting his head down help this or would he not get the association?

Many bunnies are aggressive when they are in a cage and another bun approaches - it's just natural for them to be territorial of their space. It doesn't necessarily mean that they won't get along better in a neutral space with nothing separating them.

Back