Student Teaching!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Well, tomorrow is the big day! I begin my student teaching year with a 4th grade class. The past 4 years of college have all been gearing up for this. I've already met my mentor teacher and been out to the school. Basically I am as prepared as I can be, but holy moly, does that not stop me from being nervous! Of course I'm excited and happy about it, but definitely have the jitters, too. I have heard all kinds of stories from students who have gone through this program (which is a good program by the way, not knocking it at all) and I think anyone would be nervous. Wish me luck, everyone! Thank goodness I have 7 bunnies to hug, they are great stress relievers :)

Best of luck! I'm sure you will be fantastic! :hug:

Remember, kids are like dogs, they can smell fear. Be confident and everything will go well. :bunnydance:

Good luck! As long as you let them know from Day 1 you are the boss you'll be flying it. I remember when I was a kid we'd know within the first couple of hours whether a student teacher was to be taken seriously or if we could walk all over them :p

We had a student teacher, almost everybody attaches to them. Just don't act higher then them when you are talking to them! I loved that my student teachers were able to talk to us(students) as if they understood that we can talk about intresting things too!!!

Good luck!! :) :)
Jj

I head back in for my 16th year (WOW... it sure doesn't feel like it's been that long!) tomorrow. Totally actually, I guess I should head to bed! I arranged my schedule so that my student teaching would happen at the very beginning of the school year. I was with the kids on the first day of school. Not only did it help me learn how to get a classroom up and running, but I was there to develop the routine with the class. I think this was much easier than walking into a well established routine and trying to take over. I had a student teacher in my room this spring and there were a few hiccups with the kids trying to adjust to how someone else did things that they were used to doing another way. GOOD LUCK!

Asugrad, how does student teaching work at your school? At my university, student teachers are there the entire year. Basically all day every day, from the first day to the last. So I will be there the whole time :) One kind of interesting thing is that the teacher moved up a grade with her students, so half of the kiddos in the class are ones she taught last year. Hopefully that won't be problematic for me as the newcomer. I'll just have to work it out!

I student taught for one semester... pretty much from day 1 until Christmas/Winter break. The student teacher I had last year did a middle school rotation for 6 weeks and then an elementary for 6 weeks. I thought his program was rather odd, but it's been a while since I've been in school. I got quite a bit done today between meetings, but today kicked my tail pretty good. I think I am going to try to do some of that sleeping stuff while it is still dark outside =).

Finished my Bach of Ed program 2 years ago - found that the 4 Fs really helped me - Frank, firm, fair and friendly.
Spent wayyyy to many nights up very late, tweakng the "perfect lesson plan"
I spent time with grades 9-12, 4-5, and 7-8.

Grade 4 is my very favourite - I hope you have a blast! The kids are usually pretty awesome, open to new things... not trying to necessarily be "cool" yet, haha.

How has it been going? I'm in school now for education, majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. I'm so nervous about student teaching! I'm in my junior year starting in September. Although, I'm doing secondary education (5-12). Hope it's been fun!

My roommate is about to start her second practicum. The way it works here is you have one that is about 3 or 4 weeks long, then you have more classes, and the last is a full semester. She was really nervous when she started. She was worried that she wouldn't like it and her four years of school would be wasted. Turns out she loved it a lot and feels like this is her "calling" for life! Good luck S!

Latest posts

Back