Stuck Poop & Diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a lot of carrots! Carrots are sugary and should not be fed daily. I give mine one baby carrot a few times a week.

Have you tried reducing his romaine a little? I don't know how big the bowl is, but some rabbits are sensitive to too much greens. He may not be eating his pellets and hay because he gets to eat so much veggies.

The pellets and hay are good. I love Oxbow pellets!:D I would decrease his carrots and see if he improves. It may take a week or two. If you need to, you can decrease his romaine a little and see if that helps.

How are you encouraging him to eat his hay? Have you tried putting it in toys, above the litterbox, in boxes for him to play in when he's out of the cage?

I bet its the carrots.. I've seen them get loose stools from them...also maybe you could vary the greens trying small amounts (I mean reaallly slow intro) of cilantro parsley carrot tops etc but for now its best to cut back on the greens...I know its hard as they love them so much!!!

Carrot topsare the long greeneryattached to the top of a fresh bunch of carrots and most grocery stores throw them out because most people take them off and throw them out.........however if you have rabbits, carrot tops are more important than the carrots. Maybe you could grow a garden and grow carrots. I can find them in stores here in Wi. but I don't think I saw them in Chicago.

I give my bunnies veggies as a treat.. I don't care too much for a lot of raw veggies so what I do sometimes is buy a veggie for one.. I eat a little and give the rest to the bunnies as long as it still looks ok.

My bunny Luv had a messy bottom until I changed foods and stopped feeding her so much.

Cristy

Bill,

Yep its right that I mainly feed my two bunnies pellets and unlimited hay. I use veggies and fruit as treats.. More veggies than fruit though.. Mostly when I do buy most veggies its for cooking and I feed the bunnies it too.. Luv my oldest bunny will only eat carrots, celely and the leaves and lettuceand apples. Roger Will eat just about any safe fruit and veggie I have ever offered. Which is mostly carrots, celely. lettuce, brocili Cauliflower.. Normally just a peice or two. I haven't ran into any problems. Been feeding them like this since day one.

Cristy

Hi Bill !!

I've been following this thread and you have already gotten some good advice.

I will usually only make one appearance in threads that concern diet (ok, maybe twice or thrice). Reason??? there are as many diets as there are opinions...and...what works for one bun doesn't always work for another.

For those who are interested, there is a good article on diets in the 2006 issue of Rabbits USA (picked my copy up this past weekend).

When I first got bunnies, I tried to meet every need of every diet. All I really did was jepordize the health of my charges. Too many treats and the wrong kind....too many greens and too many different kinds. I ended up with a lot of soft poop problems and a bunch of bunnies that were getting a tendency to be overweight.

A very wise and caring person once passed on a saying to me; "keep it simple-stupid". Don't get this wrong....I was not being called "stupid".....rather the technique encompasses both words:"simple-stupid". Keep things simple and in moderation.

I have 8 buns and each one is a bit different. They all get a basic diet except for one of them:
~Fresh water at all times (buns will not eat if they don't have water to drink)
~Unlimited timothy hay (I fill the rack 2-3 times a day)
~Limited pellets - approx 1/2 ounce per lb of buns normal weight - once daily (Purina green bag)
~1/2 tbsp rolled oats daily (plain ol' Quaker oatmeal - original preferred, quick oats can be used and are just ground into smaller pieces to cook faster)
~approx. 1/2 cup of Romaine - twice a week
~Small amount of dried papaya - once a week (Saturday treat)

The one buns that has a different diet has a problem with the higher percentage of protein in the Purina pellets. Instead of Purina, she gets KayTee Timothy Complete in the same amounts outlined for the other buns.

Overweight buns will tend to shed more, have more health problems, and get a little bald spot on their tummy from dragging it on the ground (jk ;))

~Jim

Back