Stuck-on poop!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly316

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just brought home a new addition to the family last night, his name is Gordon (pics to follow!!). He has a big clump of poop stuck to his butt and it's all up in his fur and stick to his skin down there. Any suggestions on how to get it off without hurting him? I already tried a warm washcloth and then tried to snip it off around the hair but I didn't want to get too close to him and cause any injuries!

Thanks!!

If he's an indoor rabbit, put about an inch of warm water in the sink and set him in that for a couple minutes, then work it out with your fingers while he's still in the water. :)

Babbitty used to have this problem quite often, we usually just turned on the sink to warm water and held his bum under it, gently massaging it off. It takes a while but eventually it will come off.

Since he's new to you guys, maybe putting his bottom in a pan of water would be better since you haven't built a trust level yet. Just be sure to take it slow and be calm about it. Be sure to dry him off well too!

Coal has it sometime too. When it's dried, I usually break it up into smaller bits and have been able to work most of it free that way. Only use a bath if it's still fairly fresh and too messy to clean with unscented baby wipes.

Success!! Thanks for all the suggestions! The water bath worked and he, although didn't like it, tolerated it enough to where I could run him under a little water too. Yay!

Back