Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebrady135

Reaction score
I have two bonded male rabbits. Both are neutered and have been litter trained for years. I recently moved in January, and ever since they have been peeing and pooping in the same two spots in the carpet. I know they know to use the litter box, because as soon as I catch them peeing on the carpet they will run into the litter box. They also mainly use the litter box, and I praise them and give them treats if I see them go into it. When I catch them peeing on the sofa, I get up and they immediately know they’ve been caught and run away (they are not shy of being touched so I know that they know they’re being bad!) how do I keep them from peeing on the carpet?! It’s a dense shag and nearly impossible to get totally clean, but I try. I even rented a carpet cleaner to make sure they weren’t smelling any residual pee, but they still mark there. It’s literally one foot in front of their litter box. I am at wit’s end trying to keep them from going there! If I put something on the ground to cover the carpet, they just go right next to that object. I’ve tried every pee cleaner on the market, including vinegar and baking soda. I’ve lived in this apartment for four months now, so surely it isn’t just them trying to adjust to a new environment. I truly think they’re doing it to spite me!

It sounds like they are marking their territory. It’s a new place and it takes a while to get used to especially when your only 5lb and can’t see over the couch. It can sometimes take a few months to get used to it.
I would thoroughly clean their areas that they’ve urinated on with a water and vinegar solution. I also wouldn’t clean the litterbox for a few days to get their scents back in there. I highly doubt that they are doing it to spite you, rabbits don’t think like that.
Limit their space using an xpen until they are using the litterbox like normal. Or maybe you could block of the sofa so that they can’t go on it

I have two bonded male rabbits. Both are neutered and have been litter trained for years. I recently moved in January, and ever since they have been peeing and pooping in the same two spots in the carpet. I know they know to use the litter box, because as soon as I catch them peeing on the carpet they will run into the litter box. They also mainly use the litter box, and I praise them and give them treats if I see them go into it. When I catch them peeing on the sofa, I get up and they immediately know they’ve been caught and run away (they are not shy of being touched so I know that they know they’re being bad!) how do I keep them from peeing on the carpet?! It’s a dense shag and nearly impossible to get totally clean, but I try. I even rented a carpet cleaner to make sure they weren’t smelling any residual pee, but they still mark there. It’s literally one foot in front of their litter box. I am at wit’s end trying to keep them from going there! If I put something on the ground to cover the carpet, they just go right next to that object. I’ve tried every pee cleaner on the market, including vinegar and baking soda. I’ve lived in this apartment for four months now, so surely it isn’t just them trying to adjust to a new environment. I truly think they’re doing it to spite me!
My male is doing the same right now. It's frustrating, he has not had a change of space though... I'm thinking it jealously having the other two buns scent near by.. Next to him. But he just started doing this..they've always been next to him. It's frustrating for sure

Maybe put another litter box there so they have two options of where to go?

I thought of that, but i live in a tiny apartment and the place they keep peeing on is the only place I can put my dining table. I just put a rubber mat over the place they keep peeing, so maybe that will help

I thought of that, but i live in a tiny apartment and the place they keep peeing on is the only place I can put my dining table. I just put a rubber mat over the place they keep peeing, so maybe that will help
Hi, I'm curious? How are your buns doing now? I have a rescue that keeps doing the exact same thing. He's very sweet and super affectionate but has a bad litterbox habit. I've had him for 2 years and he's neutered and bonded with my 6 year old girl. The problem is there is no way around me not having a carpeted apt because he doesn't have paws and needs carpeting to get around. He's a free roam rabbit but I limit him to one room because of his problem. It's been a hassle and he's such a great rabbit but like you I've tried everything. He's good for a day or two and goes right back to doing it again. I will never get rid of him but need a solution.

Latest posts

Back