Struggling to bond with chronically ill buns (herpes)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squiddykayla

Reaction score
My bonded pair both have herpes virus, confirmed by vet. As I'm sure you know, this is a lifelong ailment. Their lives are filled with oral and topical medications for weeks during flareups and I, of course, have to be the bad guy chasing them, catching them and holding them down to give them awful tasting medication and cold ointments. I'm glad they have each other for comfort, but they hate me. They're afraid of me and it hurts my heart that they'll always see me this way.

(I get on their level and hand feed + treats as much as I can, but they'll never trust me) Sucks

Something I did during one of my rabbit's "peaks" of needing treatment was associate all medication/grooming-related procedures with a specific floor mat-- that way, he could differentiate me approaching for medication-related reasons vs. other reasons. It does give a signal for the rabbit to run (once they see the mat); however, that means it is working to stop the association from you and to the mat instead.

I sometimes give him a moment afterwards to unleash his frustration on the mat as well:

Something I did during one of my rabbit's "peaks" of needing treatment was associate all medication/grooming-related procedures with a specific floor mat-- that way, he could differentiate me approaching for medication-related reasons vs. other reasons. It does give a signal for the rabbit to run (once they see the mat); however, that means it is working to stop the association from you and to the mat instead.

I sometimes give him a moment afterwards to unleash his frustration on the mat as well:

I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! Thank you so much for the tip

Latest posts

Back