Stressful day! I need to vent

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leopold_Ruby

Reaction score
So I adopted a male lionhead a few months ago. He lives with another male and I believe are bonded. I planned on getting them neutered young so hormones cant come into play.
The rescue I adopted him from gets a deal at a local clinic on spays/neuters and after some pestering, she agreed to let me get mine done through her (sinve he was her rescue, I feel he should have been done before I got him anyways).
I prepaid for the surgery and today was the day.
We dropped him off and about an hour later I had a missed call. I called back right away and they told me the rabbit I adopted is actually female. While under anethesia, waiting to be spayed, they called the rescue girl and she told them to call off the surgery and woke the rabbit up!!! Its her personal opinion that the rabbits too young for a spay.
I was so angry. Its not her rabbit to make decisions for!
Long story short they did spay her later that day, terminating an early pregnancy but I'm so angry that A. She sexed her incorrectly and B. my poor rabbit had to go under dangerous anethesia twice!

(ive never delt with a spay. Ive removed the levels out of the cage and theyre cuddling and munching on hay. She'll get her meds, should she wear a cone?)

I'm sorry your bunny had to go through that =0(. Hope she gets all better quick!

I'm sorry for your frustration. It's not uncommon to sex rabbits incorrectly. It can be difficult to determine gender when they're young, especially for someone who may be less experienced with doing that (rescues don't always deal with lots of young animals). I'm glad everything ended up okay. :)

I understand, plus the rabbit was fluffy. I'm more upset that my rabbit was sedated for no reason just to be sedated again. Poor things doped up.

As long as her surgical site looks clean and healing properly, I would avoid the cone at all costs. It causes them too much stress. Take a look at the wound daily, and its healing nicely you won't need a cone. Hope she recovers quickly.

She seems fine today. Yesterday they were just laying together, today shes walking around and using the litter box.
I always feel so bad for spays. Such a big surgery. We are going to call her Pearl

Yes its easy to do. I hope shes learned her lesson on never speaking on behalf of someone else regarding their pets surgery.

But try to remember, she didn't mean any harm. Some people go from calm to disaster mode in the blink of an eye without knowing all the facts. It's just the way some people are. I would probably avoid doing business with her in the future though. Do they have a website where you can post a review of your experience? That may help her realize she stepped over the line this time. If you are in the US, post a review on Yelp.

I'm not sure if she meant harm but she should know, as a
Rabbit rescuer, how dangerous it is for rabbits to go under once, let alone twice. Also that legally she shouldnt have even made that call. She argued with me that rabbits can reproduce before 6 months. Shes not very knowledgable at all. We're in Canada. I'm just frustrated with that experience. She also buys rabbits are auctions so I'm not sure if shes even considered a
Rescue.
My rabbit seems fine. Taking her meds well and hopping around. I'll let her out more after a
Week has gone by.

Oh please don't get me wrong. What she did was wrong, totally wrong, but her heart was in the right place. She just made a bad judgement call. I would be super pissed if something like that happened with my rabbits. Great to hear that your rabbit is doing better and has gotten over the hump. YAY!

I found you can increase their space a bit after 3-4 days depending on how the surgical site heals and you can put back the ramps and levels within 6-7 days.

Her incision actually looks amazing. I have to really look for it. They did a great job. I will hse rhat doctor again for my polish female spay. The silver lining to this story is that Pearl was the "male" that kept sneaking in with my doe. So my doe cant be pregnant :)

omg! Poor girl :( I do agree it is really easy to miss-sex rabbits, the breeder I got Chestnut miss-sexed her, going from male-female-male, and then the day we got her I found out she was female! I also think that the rescue lady freaked out, spays are a big surgery and can't been done young in small breeds. It was kind of a bad call though, I would definately be mad as well! It's good you where able to get her fixed though, especially before the pregnacy got long term! I hope she heals well and stays happy :)

Back