Strange Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heth

Reaction score
Well, I'm kind of a suckerfor pet stores and the poor conditions that animals live in withinthem. So, I bought a 6 weekold bunny about 2 weeks ago,soit should be 8 weeks if I did my math correctly. When I gotit, it seemed to be very happy. It would hop up on it's hind legswhenever someone entered the room and it was always energetic. Withinthe last couple of days, it seems to have slowed down a bit. When yougo to pet it, it forces it's self as far down into the floor aspossible and I think it's a little abnormal but I could be wrong. Italso seems to be putting on a little weight? Maybe because it's in anew home or what not. My dilemma is this, I still don't know what sexit is, and I have a feeling I bought a pregnant one. I might be overparanoid, but I had an incident with some hamsters I bought a whileback. I just want to know if it's something that I need to watch outfor? Or if it's normal behavior? THANKS! :D

Flattening down is often a submissive gesture to encourage to "groom" or pet your rabbit. It is called "presenting." We jokingly refer to it sometimes as "loafing" because the bun oft times looks like a loaf of bread sitting there waiting to be petted. Quite normal rabbit behavior for the most part.

Although it may be pregnant, weight gain in and of itself is not particulary suspicious.

Buck

Thanks for the help. I hadbought a hamster that just had babies last year.. 3 weeks later she gotfat and I thought I would take it to the vet,ha. She had a litter of 10that night. So I'm kind of paranoid, lol.

Hello Heth,

What are you feeding your bunny? When I got my first bunny, Iwas feeding the wrong kind of food and also too much of it and shegained weight very quickly. The pellets should be just that -pellets and no other stuff mixed in (like dried fruit, veggies orlittle colored bits).

Laura

All it's eating now is pellets and oats, we had heard that it was good for young rabbits to eat oats?

Also, is there any way I can find out what kindof rabbit it is? It's probably a mutt!
thump.bmp
thump2.bmp

Looks like a Dutch to me. I can't see much in the second picture. Is that also your rabbit?

I wouldn't give a lot of oats, maybe a spoonful a day at most.

Yeah, my first and probably won't be my last, ha.

Yes itsa Dutch and what a cutie, slow down some onthe oats only about ateaspoon or so a day , plenty ofalfalfa hay for now too , andas it getsolder cut it backwith a bit of Timothy hay each daytill weaned of the alfalfa,Dutch can be enegetic littleboogers , and they have a wonderfull personality ,

Some Dutch as they get a bitolder will talk to you, making a series of gruntsqueeks and chirps , I have 2that do just that , Some Dutchare also social butterflies they loveattention , the more youpet hold cuddle and lovethem the better they respond .I d ont believe sheis a Muttrabbit as you cal it , Im thinkingvery close to pure bred ,her colors are fairly even andears are about the right length for herage.

She is a cutie. I was going to saybasically what Gypsy said, so I don't have any more advice, but Iwanted to say how adorable that baby is. Watch out, you maycatch the "rabbit disease" and end up with many, manyrabbits. LOL (I have most definitely caughtit. I have 7 and may be adopting one this weekend.LOL)

Jen

Absolutely adorable!!! Could indeed bea Dutch, although keep in mind that those same markings may occur inother breeds and also in mixed breed rabbits.

Below is a purebred Dwarf Hotot "dutch marked" baby . . .

pamnock wrote:
Absolutely adorable!!! Could indeed be a Dutch, although keep inmind that those same markings may occur in other breeds and also inmixed breed rabbits.

Below is a purebred Dwarf Hotot "dutch marked" baby . . .

Pam, the purebred Dwarf Hotot Dutch-Marked bunny is the cutest thingI've ever seen! If my daughter saw this picture she'd absolutely flip!!!

Very adorable bunny!

Can you do us people with bad eyesight a favor and up your font size please? I'm having a hard time reading your posts.....

Stephanie wrote:
Very adorable bunny!

Can you do us people with bad eyesight a favor and up your font size please? I'm having a hard time reading your posts.....
I second that!

I've got astigmatism, so can't see close up with contactsinand I really have to struggle to read the tiny fonts.:shock:

Pam

We named her Thumper forsome reason or another, ha. She was suppose to be a birthday present tomy sister since she had one and it had recently died.I think I'm moreattached to it than she is!!

What a little sweetie! Make sure to offer Thumper some hay. Alfalfa might be a good choice. ;)

Latest posts

Back