Straining/stretching and cecotropes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshAndMaple

Reaction score
Weird question - does anyone else have a rabbit that sits and sort of stretches themselves upwards, or appears to be pushing a lot when producing cecotropes? Ash does this a lot, and he pulls a derpy face... it's not new for him, I'm just wondering if it's normal or if I need to do something about it?

Usually when I see them producing cecos they are completly bent over, I can't see their face, and some make wiered noises. I mean, they bend over to eat it right from their anus.

What is the diet of your rabbits? Most times a too rich diet causes them to leave cecos, or if they are too chubby they can get problems eating them right from the source. I would check if they might be somewhat overweight.

Usually when I see them producing cecos they are completly bent over, I can't see their face, and some make wiered noises. I mean, they bend over to eat it right from their anus.

What is the diet of your rabbits? Most times a too rich diet causes them to leave cecos, or if they are too chubby they can get problems eating them right from the source. I would check if they might be somewhat overweight.
He does it before he bends over to get them - he might do it for about 45 seconds, he sometimes looks like he's hiccuping - and then he'll bend over and get them.

He's 1.7kg and definitely not overweight - he's always been a little skinny bless him - I keep trying to fatten him up but it's just the way he is 😅 probably partly because he's very active too.

They get 20g of excel nuggets in the evening, a big bowl of varying leafy greens (especially herbs 😋) in the morning, and it lots of Timothy hay all day. They have water bowls as well, and they drink a fair amount so I doubt they're dehydrated at all.

Latest posts

Back