Story had her babies + teeth issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResQBunny

Sierra
Reaction score
Story had eight kits Sunday night/Monday morning, two died the first day (one was dead outside the nest, the other was dead under all of the hay), Story has done great so far, she started pulling her hair our and building her nest early Sunday evening, even after having the kits, she keeps putting more hay on top of them, two of them look a little thin but all look otherwise healthy. Took pictures while removing dead baby (otherwise baby number 5 prob. would have died, was at bottom of nest near dead baby and thin)

The nest

Baby One- Solid white with small brown stripe on back

Baby Two- Red with black

Baby Three- White with brown stripe and spots on body

Baby Four- Light tan with black (has black on side of face like mom)

Baby Five- White with tan/black spots on back and around eyes, black spot on nose

Baby Six- White with brown stripe on back around eyes

So, Story's previous owners did not give her the best care, I had her scheduled for a vet appointment Friday to get her teeth trimmed and to check and see if she was preg. (issues with the vet, apparently I was misinformed, they don't see rabbits, only guinea pigs? The vet I WANT to take her to is my normal vet but I was concerned about the 1 and a half drive- one way.... fine for my dogs, but a preg rabbit?) Well, that vet said that another saw rabbits, asked around and this time I got other rabbit owners opinions of the vet first before calling and making a vet visit for Monday... but Story gave birth before that, she still REALLY needs her teeth trimmed, she has trouble eating and I suspect that the death of the two kits could have been prevented if she had been able to move them, I called the new vet, but the vet who sees rabbits is out the lady said she can set up an appointment to see him, she says that the fact that Story has kits shouldn't be a problem if its just a trim, but if Story needs to be sedated she is not sure the vet will be able to do it... opinions? Anyone been in this problem before?

She is having trouble eating, having to soak some pellets for her so its easier, downside, it matts up on her face :/

Last edited:
I haven't personally had this problem but we've had to have a doe treated who was nursing a litter. Hopefully the vet can trim them enough so she can eat. If he has to sedate then make sure whatever he uses will not cross over into the milk.

Does don't normally move their kits around. The dead kit under the hay may have been accidentally stepped on by Mom. Kits like to burrow and can end up in the four corners. When I see them spread out I try to at least get them all together towards the back of the nestbox.

We had one with problems--if it was just the front teeth, thy didn't need to sedate them too deeply, only if the needed to get spurs off his molars in back. Definitely needs trim ASAP.

If he has to sedate then make sure whatever he uses will not cross over into the milk.

That was one of the questions I had, the vet tech said that the vet who sees rabbits will be in tomorrow (Friday) and to call and double check and see about making an appointment

Does don't normally move their kits around. The dead kit under the hay may have been accidentally stepped on by Mom. Kits like to burrow and can end up in the four corners. When I see them spread out I try to at least get them all together towards the back of the nestbox.

I wasn't sure I've never dealt with baby rabbits before (just about everything else though), I have noticed that they like to burrow, the remaining 6 have been pretty good about sticking together in the back middle part of the nest their selves

Latest posts

Back