Storm is Stasis Again (Resolved)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
Well his few little poohs are like tiny little pieces of chocolate.

He has not touched his pellets. Start the gas meds I can never remember the name. Gave him 5cc of water. And a few sub ques. About 3 cc there. I am almost out of gas meds I forgot when I went shopping to buy some added a little water to what I have to make it last tell 6 when hubby gets home.

No pinapple. This is so fustrating. I feel like if it is not one things its another.Between Storm phoenix and Echo.

I have done this 3 times before with him just looking for support more then anything. I cant waite tell his vet visit for them to make sure everything is ok.

Its in 3 weeks I think i know its at the end of the month.

Note this is from the amount of treats he got yesterday. I kow that I was giving him a lot because I had to handle him so much

So were you feeding him more treats because you had to handle him? If he is having reoccuring issues you may want to stop until you find his triggers.

Seems stasis is everywhere....my English Angora is all stopped up. But when you get Storm thru this one.....deworm him.....doesn't matter what a fecal shows...do it anyway. It might be beneficial to try to track recent GI events.....stasis or other GI issues that come at fairly regular intervals are many times caused by intestinal parasites (life cycle thing)....been there, done that.

Randy

Do you have any Critical Care? If Storm isn't eating you should seriously consider force feeding him. A vet visit may be necessary before his appointment in 3 weeks if he doesn't eat on his own very soon.

I've been keeping a very close eye on my four. I have had an abundance of "string of pearl" poops. The strings have been very thick. Everybun is eating copious amounts of hay and are passing everything.

I'll be keeping Storm in my thoughts. {{{HUGS}}}

slavetoabunny wrote:
Do you have any Critical Care? If Storm isn't eating you should seriously consider force feeding him. A vet visit may be necessary before his appointment in 3 weeks if he doesn't eat on his own very soon.

I've been keeping a very close eye on my four. I have had an abundance of "string of pearl" poops. The strings have been very thick. Everybun is eating copious amounts of hay and are passing everything.

I'll be keeping Storm in my thoughts. {{{HUGS}}}

Yes I have critical care of needed he is eating hay buts thats about all. Speaking of eating hay he need his last dose a gas meds I am going to give nutrical also critical care is a last resort.

He is producing cecels (sp) and small poohs.

I need to give him the nutrical but he is fighting my every moved around him.

I ment to say ben bac. Not nutrical.

And he is eating hay. Not sure if I said that.

I gave him his oat hay and his sweet meadow hay he normally gets those as treats in his hay tubes but he will eat them as much as I will give it to him. I can tell he is not feeling good he is not charging phoenix. Which is his favorite thing to do.

He got his third dose of gas meds another 5 cc of water. and his ben bac so right now i am letting him eat hay he likes the ben bac a lot he sat still and took it.

Ok, it sounds like you're doing a good job for him. My guys like Bene-Bac too, I hope that does the trick. I have given Nutri-Cal before to get appetite going, and it worked, so it might be something to think of. Will he eat any wet greens? Eating hay is good, but he will need extra water to keep his gut going with all that hay.

good vibes sent your way~~

tonyshuman wrote:
Ok, it sounds like you're doing a good job for him. My guys like Bene-Bac too, I hope that does the trick. I have given Nutri-Cal before to get appetite going, and it worked, so it might be something to think of. Will he eat any wet greens? Eating hay is good, but he will need extra water to keep his gut going with all that hay.

good vibes sent your way~~

I dont have any nutrical. I had it but phoenix got sick so she used it.

I will have to get some this evening at wally world. I am going to try cilontro he loves it. Should I gove him his salad early today I am going to give it to him now. see if he will eat it.

Oh I gave him another 3 cc sub que also

Cilantro is great. I would give him veggies early today, and make sure they're extra wet. It's great that you know how to do sub-q--I'm sure that will help a lot.

His vegys are in but he did not even flintch. The vet is out tell monday everyting I am doing they can do. They would take exrays but I know there is no way he got into anything.

This is either fur or the treats. He is playing with his tubes??????

But not eating I dont understand. :?

SDC11087.jpg

These are his treats he had about 5 each of crasins and the other two containers called yogies. Do you think this could cause this. he seems to get a little slow when he gets a few extra but I did not relize that hubby had given him some earlier

Just gave him a good tummy rub. He is hopping around the living room now. Seems a little more livly.

He has had about 20 cc of water total called and talked to the exotic vet tech they said that should do him for the afternoon. But storms drinks a lot of water.

As long as he does not bread loaf up where fine. In the way of letting him be.

Those treats could cause a slowdown, especially the yogies. I only like to give those at most one a day. I don't think the vet can do anything that you can't already do, except take x-rays and give motility drugs, which I don't think is totally needed, as he is still eating something (hay is very good for a stasis tummy) and you're getting a good amount of fluids in him. I think with continued fluids, hay, and time, he should pull through fine.

There is no change in his as of 7 P.M.

I would dump those treats....they might not be the cause but they are certainly not health food. I would suggest not using Nutrical (I am not a fan of "Fat in a Tube") as it can have an effect much like Laxatone or Petro Malt....the heavy visocity of these products tend to add pressure, compact any impaction and dehydrate. We had an interesting discussion about using (or more precisely why not to use)Nutrical in dehydrated squirrels in a symposium a few months ago. Not saying that it should never be used...but just not with a GI slowdown. Same goes for Critical Care. That stuff just demands water.....if you mix it using the directions, it's quite thick. And it is a great product if used at the right time. If the gut is drastically slowed or stopped, Critical Care tends to "sit heavy" and adds pressure in the gut. I don't use it until the gut is moving. The first and most important response to stasis is hydration....hydration before nutrition. Change, our English Angora, hasn't eaten in nearly a week. He is getting lots of sub-q fluids and quitea bit of fresh pineapple juice. He is showing signs of improvement today and actually ate some Spring Mix on his own. Nibbling on dandelions now. Hydration, determining the root cause of the slow down and addressing that issue is the way to overcome and prevent stasis. And don't so too much too quickly....remember rabbits do not like change. Stasis is usually caused by something out of whack....the idea is to simply get things back in order.

Randy

I agree with Randy- I would put those treats in the trash and replace them with no sugar added cranberries and try papaya (fresh or dehydrated) instead. You can use some carrot pieces as a treat. It is all cheaper than buying 'pet store junk food' anyway.

Indeed the critical care has to be really thin and watered down. Disregard the package instructions- you need more water than that. I like to syringe it runny.

If he is eating hay however I would leave him alone and not syringe anything unless he stops eating hay too. Syringe feeding is very stressful and can complicate stasis. Its not too big of a deal as others have said if they are not eating much- it is the hydration that is important.

And the stasis cause- is he shedding? Is it really warm? Has he a history of teeth issues?

I know it always seems to hit us all at once like this when our bunnies are sick. My Sass just had a gas attack today, it has been really abnormally warm here and it shocked his system into an immediate molt which is unnatural for him. But I kind of saw that one coming- it is stasis season.

It is worming up quite fast but he is a indoor bun. The A/C is always on 70.

Yes he is in molt big time. I dont know about teeth issues. He was going for his first yearly with me in a few weeks I reshedualed it last time cause he went into a very slight Tummy uppset after easter.

I am not going to use nutrical just because randy and a few other member have explained in great detail like said I don't think this is the time for it.

Well he has been off hay for 12 hours now but I am worried about his water intake none also he seemed livly this morning. But after a few hopps ut of his cage he is back in in the bread loaf position.

I have started sub ques and I called the emergency clinic they gave me a fresh bottle of water. In explination for those reading that don't know. The IV bag they hook up to your arm. I get them from my local vet and the emergency vet when needed.

When I went up there last night talk to the vet he said the only other thing we would do is a ex ray. That you not doing at home and he said if your sure he did not get into anything go to your vet on monday.

He showed me how to make critical care in a watery mess is what I call it but enough that it wont slow down any more stomch but I am not going to fource anything I dont have to. He is not a real hold me type bun. He would rather spend the day hoppping with no human aorund then me or erroll be around.

Needless to say he has gotten worse not better. As of this morning now this is for today.

He has got 6 cc orally

and 5 cc sub que.

This is the worst he has ever been. I have normally had him eating something by the next day

Its 1 30 no change I have been giving 3 cc orally every hour the sub q has been stressing hi out more then the orally.

I have to wait tell monday the closet emergency vet wont take pet insurence. Itsa 2 hour drive to the next one I think he is stressed out enough. To add a car ride to the mix. In no A/C

Can you get a fresh pineapple and squeeze the juice? this is not proven to help but it helps my rabbits a lot; I also sometimes mix the pineapple juice with pedialyte; they often will take the pedialyte easier than water/
Did you give benebac; this is another helpful item
As Randy will say hydration is more important than pushing food; if you are going to syringe food try pure canned unseasoned pumpkin; this is much easier to get in the rabbit than critical care and also has fiber/
I hope that he improves.

Latest posts

Back