Storm and Stasis (RESOLVED!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score
I think we have a flu blown case this time.

I notices his poohs where smaller over the last few days but I had cut back on pellets so he would eat more hay. Which seem to be working.

But yesterday I was a little side tracked and so was I the day before and this morning. I had storm up here the last 2 days so did not realy pay attition to how he was eating.

Well I had my hubby feed him in his cage it is now10:05 And he got feed at 7:00. Or so. has only taken a few biutes has not touched his hay sense last night. I had hubby to a cage clean out so I know that he has not touched his hay sense last night cause there is not even hay anywhere. went down stairs gave him some gas drops groomed him for a while. Pushed about 7 cc og fluids because he had not touch his water either. I know this is from molt because I got enough hair off him to make a blanket.

SDC10328.jpg

I know its hard to see in the picture but my cloths are covered in hair and there mounds of hair on the floor.

Hubby went to get the stuff from wal mart. I cant remember the name but I saw it in a thread and wrote it down for him the molt flavored.

What else can I do at this point. He is huddled in a corner but also I just pluked him for 20 nimutes. And pushed fluids and ave him the gas meds.

fresh pineapple juice helps butnot a lot maybe a few ccs a couple times a day..
simethicone but not continuously ...maybe about 3 doses in a day

benebac to reestablish gut flora (May or may not help but I use it because it won't hurt)You can get that at petco
I think you mean Nutrical which can be bought ar petsmart and/or petco but not at walmart. You have to smear a ribbon of it in the fur on their legs and they have to eat if off. Mine hate it
and in addition you can syringe water. I did read recently (EB)that the sugar in the pedialyte assists in the assimilation of the other electrolytes into the GI tract of the body

Brush him well and encourage exercise

also wet greens will help

I think all of us are going through this as I have needed to do it on several of my buns recently
also gentle tummy massages...

I have been dong that so much recently probably am pro. Do not do it too hard and move your hands down the bunny in the direction of the tail

angieluv wrote:
fresh pineapple juice helps butnot a lot maybe a few ccs a couple times a day..
simethicone but not continuously ...maybe about 3 doses in a day

benebac to reestablish gut flora (May or may not help but I use it because it won't hurt)You can get that at petco
I think you mean Nutrical which can be bought ar petsmart and/or petco but not at walmart. You have to smear a ribbon of it in the fur on their legs and they have to eat if off. Mine hate it
and in addition you can syringe water. I did read recently (EB)that the sugar in the pedialyte assists in the assimilation of the other electrolytes into the GI tract of the body

Brush him well and encourage exercise

also wet greens will help

I think all of us are going through this as I have needed to do it on several of my buns recently
also gentle tummy massages...

I have been dong that so much recently probably am pro. Do not do it too hard and move your hands down the bunny in the direction of the tail
Yes, it definitely seems to be going around, Hazel has been "off" the same way today, too :(
I hope pushing the fluids and pellet mush will get her going again soon.

Angieluv, how long do you give your bunnies before you really get concerned? Just asking, because Hazel doesn't usually react this way from molting. She's not too bad yet, she drank a lot today and ate a little "mush", but just wondering... how soon do you usually see any improvement?

Mine are behaving different this year also. Much worse than normal. I would be really worried in 24 hrs. But they are still OK if they have been syringed fluids for 24 hrs . Not pooping for awhile is not life-threatening

I had a megacolon rabbit (RIP ) Gabriel who had constant stasis or weird poops ; he was a wild one andI couldn't syringe anything in him so he always went to the vet and I did use motility drugs on him butI think his GI tract was abnormal to begin with.
The molting buns usually noramlize within 12 hrs or so but it can reoccur in a few days if they are shedding so I alwaysam on the look out for a bun that doesn't eat a favorite which is the tip off.

I have sometimes dissolved papaya tablets (human chewable) in pedialyte and given that
I flavor the waterbowls with a little juice to keep them drinking and if I was going to syringe food I would use pure pumpkin

I actually freak out just like else when they are not eating and pooping but i have gained some confidence from being ble to jumpstart their GI tracts at home.

How are things with Storm going?

Definitely sounds related to molting. Good move on cutting down on pellets, I would continue doing that throughout the whole molt. Sometimes the molt lasts a month or more but in all honesty I have never seen anything bad happening to a molting adult rabbit due to decreased pellets.

What you may want to do if you have access to it is feed critical care. If he is not eating much at all you can go ahead and force feed. Sometimes they have a partial blockage but once the critical care gets in there it softens things up and gets the gut moving again. The trick to the critical care (or any pellet mush) is to use warm water to mix it with, add more water than it looks like it needs and let it sit for 10 minutes. Add even more water if necessary. What we don't want is a critical care mixture that is absorbing water when it is in the gut so it should be pretty wet.

Mint and parsley soothes the tummy, try offering that. Whatever you do- don't give him the petro-malt or any oil based product that is supposed to help with hairballs. They really don't work at all and can make it worse. Let us know how things go.

Umm.....I am assuming you mean a "malt" flavored gel....something like Laxatone which is made for hairballs in cats. DO NOT use that stuff in a rabbit. Rabbits rarely get true hairballs. This gel stuff can compact and dehydrate an ingesta mass....and that is the opposite of what you want. You might also be talking about Nutri-Cal which is a high fat supplement (fat in a tube). I am not a fan of that stuff either but many do use it. This is something I can't say that I wouldn't use....I just don't. But do keep in mind that gel type supplements might not be the best thing to put in a balky gut.

Rule of thumb as I have mentioned before....hydration before nutrition. I have no problem overall with Critical Care but it also can be dehydrating. Hydration is so important in getting a gut going.

Randy

Nutri Cal is an excellent source of energy for rabbits off their food and a good source of healthy calories. I've found that it also helps to keep them hydrated. It contains cod liver oil and vitamin E (excellent for stasis) and omega 3 fatty acids (believed to have therapeutic effects on the digestive system and also believed to form antiviral compounds in the gut). Also contains glucose and electrolytes.

In some cases I've found Nutri Cal to be a life saver. It is only used in very small amounts, so makes it easy to administer, therefore less stressful to rabbits. I've also found it to be a great supplement to give after surgery and great for older rabbits that are unable to metabolize their feed very well.

The active ingredient in most "hairball" medications is petroleum jelly (Vaseline) - most certainly not something you'd want to be feeding to your rabbit.

Pam

Lots of good comments here. I also want to mention canned pumpkin and exercise. Try to get him moving if you can! If you see signs of pain (if he continues to just sit huddled in the corner outside of normal nap time) or input/output stops completely, take him in.

Fluids too are very important.

Good luck...

Storm is doing ok. His stasis is starting to clear up now

Husband responded earlier:p

He is great he finallly got back to normal poohs according to the pictures hubby has been sending yesterday.

I am going to brush him when I get home tonight and conitunue to do that tell this is done. I found one of those stringing poos also well 3 he took pictures and i saw them.

Hope it does not happen again he have cut his pellets down and are keeeping them there tell things are done. molting I mean

Latest posts

Back