Storing Bulk Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Well I finally found a place here in my area that sells bulk hay.

It will cost me $60.00 for 60 pounds. I know to many of you it will still probably be pricey but the Kaytee we buy is over $20.00 for 96 ounces. So I thought I'd give this hay a try.

The lady where we purchased it from said to store it in a BIG Rubbermaid container, leaving the lid opened a bit. She said it is very compressed so when I open it will it expand alot? Will one container be enough?

I want to store it in our basement, Chris is a little leary about storing it down there. He is afraid their will be mice in it. :? Has anyone ever found a mouse on bulk hay when they purchase it?

This is where we are getting it fromhttp://www.yay4hay.ca/

Is the hay you buy from places like Kayteeprocessed differently than the hay you buy in bulk?

Thanks for your replies.

Susan:weee:

Hi Susan,

I get my bulk hay from a breeder who gets it from a local farmer in the area. She fills her mini van with the bales and leaves it in the van. She doesn't need the van so that is where she stores the hay. When feeding her rabbits, she puts a bale into a large rubbermaid container with wheels and takes it into her rabbitry.

Last week I got 2 bales from her. She only charged me what she paid the farmer, $6.00 for a 60-80 lb bale. I feel that the hay is safe for rabbits, because the breeder is feeding her rabbits with it.

I gave one bale to Jan, and Jan put it into a large cardboard box and took it into her basement. I opened my bale, there is about 18-20 flakes and put them into apple boxes at 3 flakes a box (around 6-7 boxes). I have 2 1/2 boxes left as I passed the hay out to other people. I havethose boxesin my basement.

The baleis compacted and there is alot of hay. When you open it, (cut the strings), it doesn't expand like a sponge. It's when you start pulling out the hay, they won't get compressed to the small sizeagain. It is messy and you can get hay and dust all over the place. I don't think a mouse could get in the bale because it is packed so tight.

The benefits, it may not be as green and thick like the store bought bags of hay. It could be more dustier, but I found my two bunnies ate more hay than before and I can see their poops are larger. Even Fuzzy, (who I gave some hay to) called me up to get some more hay because her two ate so much that she is already running out of hay. Some how this bulk hay is more appealing than any store bought hay (local and Oxbow).

Even in your case, $60.00 may be a bargain for you, I think the bunnies would enjoythe bales more than the more expensive bagged stuff. You should try to find a breeder or farmer who can directly get you the hay. Then you would really save on hay.

Stan

I have one of these to store the hay. I can't get the whole bale inside the container, so I put the extra flakes on top. I don't use the lid. I have a smaller bin to put the flake I am currently using in. It makes it easier to bring the hay between the 2 rooms I have the buns in.
When I open the bale, I put it on a plastic sheet so the mess is contained. You could do it outside too, but try to avoid doing it on snow or wet areas. I keep the bales I am not using in the garage.

I would imagine that the hay in bulk comes form a farmer and is not processed other than being baled. Some of the hay you buy in a bag could have something done to it, some may have an unnatural green colour.

Wooh $60 for 60 lbs? That's quite a lot, but it does sound cheaper than $20+ for 96 oz. How many pounds is 96 oz?

I get a bale of hay that weighs probably about 60 to 80lbs and it's only $14 or so. I put it up on top of my large wooden hutch. Once we remodel the rabbitry, we'll have to store it elsewhere (and a rubbermaid tub sounds like a good place to keep it....:p)

Yes it will expand a LOT! lol. It's amazing how compressed they can get. When you cut the twine, they practically explode open!

Emily

I just got 3 full bale bgs ..one in each color

you can zip them all the way around so they are closed but still have holes for air
they are very very nice
When I ordered I got a special of 3 bags for $75.00

I keep the hay in the house in the upstairs kitchen so it doesn't look awful like boxes
I am using 2 for my Kleenmama hay and 1 for my farm hay

http://www.tackwholesale.com/full-bale-p-325.html

Thanks for your replies everyone. I sent a email to tack wholesale to see if they ship to Canada. That bag would be great.

I'm just praying the hay will be good.

Here's another question, should I give it to Buttercup? Because of his age and recent health problems is it a good idea to change hay after all these years. I know I'm a worry wort when it comes to my Babies.

Thanks

Susan:)

I've been buying from Kleenmamas.

The 45 lb 3rd cut timothy came in a carton that was about half the size of the Oxbow.

I still had the empty Oxbow carton, so I put the new hay in it.
It works nicely, as it's big enough that any mess usually stays in the carton.

I store it in the basement in my workshop.
We get mice, but they've never gotten into the hay.

I keep a flake or 2 in a cardboard trans-file box in the bunny room.
Makes it more convenient.
I slide the box along on the floor so it's in front of each cage as I dole it out.
The hay fluffs up a lot as I break it apart, but having the box right by the cage doors really helps keep the mess down.
We refer to it as the "Hay Choo-Choo" :coolness:

SOOOSKA wrote:
Thanks for your replies everyone. I sent a email to tack wholesale to see if they ship to Canada. That bag would be great.

I'm just praying the hay will be good.

Here's another question, should I give it to Buttercup? Because of his age and recent health problems is it a good idea to change hay after all these years. I know I'm a worry wort when it comes to my Babies.

Thanks

Susan:)

You know Susan I would feel the same as you and although your new hay probably won't hurt Buttercup I wouldn't change it but maybe add a little of the new slowly.

I would feel EXACTLY like you!!!

Probably could change it all at once but I would be too afraid and this isn't based on any particular knowledge.

just fear of disrupting what is working

JimD wrote:
I've been buying from Kleenmamas.

The 45 lb 3rd cut timothy came in a carton that was about half the size of the Oxbow.

I still had the empty Oxbow carton, so I put the new hay in it.
It works nicely, as it's big enough that any mess usually stays in the carton.

I store it in the basement in my workshop.
We get mice, but they've never gotten into the hay.

I keep a flake or 2 in a cardboard trans-file box in the bunny room.
Makes it more convenient.
I slide the box along on the floor so it's in front of each cage as I dole it out.
The hay fluffs up a lot as I break it apart, but having the box right by the cage doors really helps keep the mess down.
We refer to it as the "Hay Choo-Choo" :coolness:
I have started to take a large cardboard box over to wherever I am keeping all my hay (right now in the kitchen ) and I fill the box with hay and then go throughout the house with the box in my arms distributing the hay among the 7.

I then only have to sweep in the kitchen and don't have hay flying every which way and leaving a trail.

angieluv wrote:
I then only have to sweep in the kitchen and don't have hay flying every which way and leaving a trail.

Since I do all of the cleaning up after the buns, I try to be careful about making additional messes.

MrsD doesn't think that same way.
She took care of the buns when I went away for the holiday week.
When I came back it looked like they had a barn dance in the bunny room....hay EVERY WHERE!!!
It took me 3 days to get it all cleaned up....I filled one and a half garbage bags with excess hay.

I looked into buying that full bale bag and it would cost me almost $90.00 to have one shipped to me.

I'd really like to get one. Does anyone have any idea what kind of stores sell them? I have no idea where to look for them.

Thanks

Susan:twitch:

If you have farmers in your area, they probably sell hay. Horse people will have hay, or be able to tell you where to get some.
This isn't the season when lots of people buy hay, but there may be some people who still have hay.
I found some good farmers on Kijiji, but i am in Alberta where it is plentiful. I pay about $4 per bale, but you may have to pay more where you are.

I found this ad for you. I am assuming that Ajax is nearish to Toronto.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-HAY-W0QQAdIdZ106653106 This was postes within the last day or so.

ETA: I just re-read your last post and it's about the hay bag, not a bale of hay. :embarrassed::foreheadsmack:
I would have no idea where to get the bag. If you have a feed or farm store in the area, you might find one. Again, horse people may be of some help to you.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
If you have farmers in your area, they probably sell hay. Horse people will have hay, or be able to tell you where to get some.
This isn't the season when lots of people buy hay, but there may be some people who still have hay.
I found some good farmers on Kijiji, but i am in Alberta where it is plentiful. I pay about $4 per bale, but you may have to pay more where you are.

I found this ad for you. I am assuming that Ajax is nearish to Toronto.
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-HAY-W0QQAdIdZ106653106 This was postes within the last day or so.
If you want full bale bags just look for horse and tack supplies in your area

Do you have a porta cot, or bag for one? Thats what I use the I put it in a big plastic boxy thing to contain messes. Or can you sew? The fabric would be cheap enough and you could make a basic one pretty easily?

I remember when I first started to look into bulk hay.

Keep in mind that this was over 2 yrs ago, so the store prices were much lower.

sas was very helpful with her storage suggestions.....;)

Pipp wrote:
JimD wrote:
The Pet Goods by us just started carrying Oxbow products. I was so excited!!!!
I bought one of the 40 oz bags of timothy hay and it lasted 3 days. The buns LOVED it and ate most of it......instead of just tossing at eachother.

The price was a bit high though @$9.99.

Even with the shipping,the50# baleonly came to $60 and should last about 2 months or so. The same amount of Kaytee would cost about $125. CHA-Ching!!!

40 oz, $9? 50 lbs, $60? :laugh:

I used to do that. :wink

100_2223.jpg

This I thinkcost me $40. :) Isplit it with a friend (Aurora/Dawn), an she dropped it off.:hug2: I paid around $14 a bale plus gas.I think all totalled it'stwo and ahalf 90 lb bales. ;)

I've used a lot of it, so it doesn't quite go up to the ceiling anymore, but it does still span the length of the tub (couldn't get an angle to show that), andthere's a bale lying flat on along the bottom under the other bale and bags. I'm going through at least one of those green garbage bags full every week for my four hay eaters (and hay players).

Of course it would be nice to still have the use of mybathtub, but hey! Anything for the bunnies! :biggrin:

(I'd probably just put another rabbit in there anyway). :brownbunny

sas :crazinessand the grass
:biggrin2:

JimD wrote:
I remember when I first started to look into bulk hay.

Keep in mind that this was over 2 yrs ago, so the store prices were much lower.

sas was very helpful with her storage suggestions.....;)

Pipp wrote:
JimD wrote:
The Pet Goods by us just started carrying Oxbow products. I was so excited!!!!
I bought one of the 40 oz bags of timothy hay and it lasted 3 days. The buns LOVED it and ate most of it......instead of just tossing at eachother.

The price was a bit high though @$9.99.

Even with the shipping,the50# baleonly came to $60 and should last about 2 months or so. The same amount of Kaytee would cost about $125. CHA-Ching!!!

40 oz, $9? 50 lbs, $60? :laugh:

I used to do that. :wink

100_2223.jpg

This I thinkcost me $40. :) Isplit it with a friend (Aurora/Dawn), an she dropped it off.:hug2: I paid around $14 a bale plus gas.I think all totalled it'stwo and ahalf 90 lb bales. ;)

I've used a lot of it, so it doesn't quite go up to the ceiling anymore, but it does still span the length of the tub (couldn't get an angle to show that), andthere's a bale lying flat on along the bottom under the other bale and bags. I'm going through at least one of those green garbage bags full every week for my four hay eaters (and hay players).

Of course it would be nice to still have the use of mybathtub, but hey! Anything for the bunnies! :biggrin:

(I'd probably just put another rabbit in there anyway). :brownbunny

sas :crazinessand the grass
:biggrin2:

LOl
I never had that much but can so totally relate to that pic
I am trying to make mine more presentable right now
but you are right

anything for the buns...:D

Hi Susan so glad you found some hay! We never store hay since everyone eats it so fast here, I go through a couple round bales and a few dozen square a month... But I wanted to say that I think it would be ok to feed the hay to Buttercup. From my own personal experience I've never had trouble adjusting an older rabbit that's come here. So hopefully Buttercup will have no problems with the hay I would hope.

SOOOSKA wrote:
 Well I finally found a place here in my area that sells bulk hay. 

It will cost me $60.00 for 60 pounds.  I know to many of you it will still probably be pricey but the Kaytee we buy is over $20.00 for 96  ounces.  So I thought I'd give this hay a try.

The lady where we purchased it from said to store it in a BIG Rubbermaid container, leaving the lid opened a bit.  She said it is very compressed so when I open it will it expand alot? Will one container be enough? 

I want to store it in our basement, Chris is a little leary about storing it down there.  He is afraid their will be mice in it.  :?  Has anyone ever found a mouse on bulk hay when they purchase it?

This is where we are getting it from http://www.yay4hay.ca/ 

Is the  hay you buy from places like Kaytee processed differently than the hay you buy in bulk?

Thanks for your replies.

Susan:weee:

It's so funny that I came across this post! I just found this place like a week ago and will be picking up my order later this week! It's so much cheaper than the retail timothy hay that they sell at pet stores.

Back