Stopping biting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibribunbun

Reaction score
Hi,

Bit of context- I finally after many tries got a rex rabbit again. Was allowed to take a taxi for the first time. This took me outside of a 20 mile radius and an expensive round trip later led to my mini rex!

She is a generally nervy bun. She has settled amazingly with me (unfortunately only me) the almost two months I've had her. She'd be about 5 months now.
She's terrified of any random noise, or any people who aren't me. She will hide behind me for safety and when she couldn't, she decided the safest option was to sit on too of my chest (I was led on the floor). It's heartwarming that she's sees me as her safety blanket.

But she's started getting upset over stupid things and She bites. I don't want this to be reinforced or become the norm.
I have contact dermatitis and could do without any new cuts and gloves can upset them more.

just wanted to say I don't show fear or pull away when bit. I know that can show it "works" to them. So I'm not reinforcing it thankfully.

I originally was told to push their head down gently but firm. This has worked with other rabbits but has done the reverse with her. My hand anywhere near her head causes aggression. I believe due to her perceiving it as pre-confrontation. I don't want this.

So a list of no go solutions are below-

1. No head pushing
(Removes bonding progress, thinks hand=meaness)

2. No spaying
(I'd love too, but parents say no, I've tried changing minds but their strong in their no)

3. No water bottle squirting
(Forced to live outside, parents again. Will catch chill in cold weather.)

4. Can't fake squeal
(My asthma stops high pitched noises a lot)

So I need a gentler but obvious solution.

I was thinking-
Ignoring. But will she just continue?
Saying no firmly. But she's not a person?
"Feet" stamping.

Any ideas that won't cause issues but stop biting.

Thank you

This post of mine might go againts your "no go solutions". I'm really sorry but I can't seem to have a better answer:

"no spaying" - If you don't neuter the bunny she will probably die because of uterine cancer when she is older. It is quite common in female Rabbits that are not neutered and don't get pregnant throught their life.
What are your parents reasoning behind saying "no"?

This post of mine might go againts your "no go solutions". I'm really sorry but I can't seem to have a better answer:

"no spaying" - If you don't neuter the bunny she will probably die because of uterine cancer when she is older. It is quite common in female Rabbits that are not neutered and don't get pregnant throught their life.
What are your parents reasoning behind saying "no"?
Unfortunately parents are stopping me, I can't do it regardless of the benefits.

Unfortunately parents are stopping me, I can't do it regardless of the benefits.
Yeah, but what are they reasoning/argument?
"no" because?

It would be much easier to accept a "no" if one explains how he/she came to that conclusion.

Keeping a small animal should be with looking at "what's best for the animal". (Let's put aside "not keeping them as pets would be the best for them" for now).
Studies show that if a small rabbit who won't be using her uterus (not getting pregnant) at all will have cancer as time passes. If one accepts this as a "fact" then the next move should be neutering her.

(Take my words as advice, I'm not angry at you)

Honestly, I would say stick to your true emotions and express it, a "Hey! that hurt!" and acting accordingly might get you farther than any copied dog or cat strategy. Rabbits are not stupid, they interact with other animals and take clues - I'm pretty sure mine listen closly to birdsong. They also listen to simple commands, like "Hase Komm!", (rabbit come!). I think two distinkt syllables work best.

Anyway, they know when I'm anxious, they know if I mean it when I say "go home", and get angry. that is way more about body language than spoken words. They know very well what I'm telling them if I mean it. They just don't always react like you would expect it from a dog :D

Trying to mimic animal behaviour did nothing for me, sure, I take clues from that, like when and where to pet them. Or, when herding them to their hutches it is often more efficient to run in front of them than trying to persuade them from the rear (except one objects, then "nagging" them home is what I do).

They are smarter than we give them credit for, it's just that their own agendas are way more important than anything we say :D

I posted a question about the likelihood of cancer among unspayed rabbits. The answers I got implied that cancer among unspayed rabbits is by no means a certainty. The link to the thread is below.

Thread 'To spay or not to spay ... (seeking research)' To spay or not to spay ... (seeking research)

I posted a question about the likelihood of cancer among unspayed rabbits. The answers I got implied that cancer among unspayed rabbits is by no means a certainty. The link to the thread is below.

Thread 'To spay or not to spay ... (seeking research)' To spay or not to spay ... (seeking research)
I've already told them this, the excuse is they have kept rabbita before and never got this.

Last edited:
Yeah, but what are they reasoning/argument?
"no" because?

It would be much easier to accept a "no" if one explains how he/she came to that conclusion.

Keeping a small animal should be with looking at "what's best for the animal". (Let's put aside "not keeping them as pets would be the best for them" for now).
Studies show that if a small rabbit who won't be using her uterus (not getting pregnant) at all will have cancer as time passes. If one accepts this as a "fact" then the next move should be neutering her.

(Take my words as advice, I'm not angry at you)
I've tried to tell them the benefits and health risks.

they are of the old thinking of not paying a lot for things. That pets are not worth too much money, especially not rabbits (lower pet idea).
They also believe it would be a myth due to them keeping rabbits and being fine.

it's a stubbornness and generation of "I know better than the internet". (Actually been told I listen to the internet too much, even though I'm just trying to protect my pets).

I just have to do the best I can.
Due to autism, the rabbits are my reason to continue with life, my greatest enjoyment. I have stubborn parents who hate to spend money on "useless things."
they see rabbits as a " low" pet undeserving of high costs. Even if it's crucial health care.

my budgie was dying of illness and I begged them to let me take him to vet after I saw warning signs. He almost died of sickness, it was getting his tail caught in bars (causing shock) that killed him in the end.
they put down dogs instead of trying to treat early cancer, don't spay ferrets and I'm the first person to vaccinate animals past legal puppy requirement.

only could vaccinate after last rabbits died of rhd. Only got support from one parent but she doesn't support me spaying.

I've tried to tell them the benefits and health risks.

they are of the old thinking of not paying a lot for things. That pets are not worth too much money, especially not rabbits (lower pet idea).
They also believe it would be a myth due to them keeping rabbits and being fine.

it's a stubbornness and generation of "I know better than the internet". (Actually been told I listen to the internet too much, even though I'm just trying to protect my pets).

I just have to do the best I can.
Due to autism, the rabbits are my reason to continue with life, my greatest enjoyment. I have stubborn parents who hate to spend money on "useless things."
they see rabbits as a " low" pet undeserving of high costs. Even if it's crucial health care.

my budgie was dying of illness and I begged them to let me take him to vet after I saw warning signs. He almost died of sickness, it was getting his tail caught in bars (causing shock) that killed him in the end.
they put down dogs instead of trying to treat early cancer, don't spay ferrets and I'm the first person to vaccinate animals past legal puppy requirement.

only could vaccinate after last rabbits died of rhd. Only got support from one parent but she doesn't support me spaying.
That's rough, but understandable. Every generation carries their own baggage from the challenges they've faced.

The good news is that I'm super optimistic about the smarts and humanity of young people. Looking forward to what you all will do down the road! Hang in there while you wait for more autonomy. It'll be sooner than you think.

That is a difficult topic, lot's of opinions and persuasive arguments thrown in.

My take is: Yes, that is an issue. About twice as prevalent as in humans (at the current rate of increase we will have catched up to their rate in a few decades). But there are more relevant things about getting a pet rabbit spayed, like no pregnancies, no fake pregnancies, and mood swings. There are a few downsides too, like a a tendancy to build up weight, and the risk of surgery of course.

I've had an unspayd rabbit, my beloved now almost 11yo Fury, as a free range indoor pet for 8 months, she wrecked my apartment, put all plinth, wood and PVC alike to dust and flakes, started a tunnel straight into the wall until the bricks stopped her, almost succeded in killing me twice, by removing the insulation from the power cords of my radio and my stick blender. Not to mention where she did chose to mark her territory and soak IKEA furniture into oblivion. And then she had her first litter of 5 right in my kitchen.

I don't know what a spay costs at your location, but that 150€ to get my current house girl spayed was well invested money.

Latest posts

Back