Stopped using the litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
What could be the cause for my litter trained doe to stop using her litter box?

Since I got her in May I managed to litter train her and she was great going in the litter box.

But since February started she have never used the litter box and instead uses the floor in the hutch.

Which makes it a lot harder for me to clean up and her paws and ears are getting dirty.

Her litter box are under the hay rack even her droppings , she will go everywhere except the litter box. Right now I have to sweep the floor of the hutch and place all the droppings in the litter box.

The litter box will only have wasted hay in it and will be the cleanest place in the hutch.

Could you show us a photo of your set up? Might help us see if there are any issues.

Hi there, I have 3 does who live together and most of the time they areal happy to use their litter tray, but sometimes, if there is a change in the weather, or change in the type of hay I give them, it is as if they go on dirty protest and just poop anywhere. I then give the entire set up a really good clean and change bedding and clean everything, and this usually works.

I’m going to do a good cleaning during the weekend. Washing the floor and changing everything in the hutch.

She's very pretty! You know, I have a lop girl, about 3,5 months old, not spayed as too young, she is with me 1 month and a half now, she learned to use the toilet box after a couple weeks and everything was great, but she had a false pregnancy a week ago and it was pretty bad like 2 days she was nesting and after that she looked very ill I seriously worried about her, and during that time of her 'pregnancy' she stopped using her toilet (she built her nest there) and was very messy there was a problem with urination and poop and she also started using her floor in a middle of her cage for pee, it was a nightmare. Yesterday she was feeling fine but still digging her toilet and everything there was everywhere and she peed everywhere again, last night I had to remove everything from her cage and clean it all and made a different toilet box so she can'd reach the wood pellets I use underneath, she is fluffing her hay but you know today's no poop or pee on her floor fingers crossed she's back to normal. But it was horrible, I gave her an extra litter box when she stopped using her toilet but she kept going in the middle, was it kinda raging or something, I don't know.

Mine is indoor though and she has her attention when I am home especially past week when she was unwell. Your situation is a bit different as you have an outside hutch but still, looks like kind of demonstration that they are not satisfied. Interesting.

Funny thing, my other rabbit, an adult rescue lionhead, he is very calm and not demanding at all, but he likes his food. So, one day he peed directly into his empty bowl I think he just wanted to show me that he's not happy because his bowl is empty! Also he peed on me on the second day I've got him when I held him brushed his coat and trimmed nails I just left him alone for a week or so after that and now he's a very responsible rabbit only goes to his corner toilet for pee, and there's no poop on his floor either, everything is in pee-box or in his other box with hay/bedding. He has two boxes as he likes softer bedding I thought he'd go pee into his hay box too but no, only toilet is wet and hay box has poops but never pee.

Anyway, sorry for a long post and not entirely related hopefully you'll find out how to fix that. :)

Last edited:
She's very pretty! You know, I have a lop girl, about 3,5 months old, not spayed as too young, she is with me 1 month and a half now, she learned to use the toilet box after a couple weeks and everything was great, but she had a false pregnancy a week ago and it was pretty bad like 2 days she was nesting and after that she looked very ill I seriously worried about her, and during that time of her 'pregnancy' she stopped using her toilet (she built her nest there) and was very messy there was a problem with urination and poop and she also started using her floor in a middle of her cage for pee, it was a nightmare. Yesterday she was feeling fine but still digging her toilet and everything there was everywhere and she peed everywhere again, last night I had to remove everything from her cage and clean it all and made a different toilet box so she can'd reach the wood pellets I use underneath, she is fluffing her hay but you know today's no poop or pee on her floor fingers crossed she's back to normal. But it was horrible, I gave her an extra litter box when she stopped using her toilet but she kept going in the middle, was it kinda raging or something, I don't know.

Mine is indoor though and she has her attention when I am home especially past week when she was unwell. Your situation is a bit different as you have an outside hutch but still, looks like kind of demonstration that they are not satisfied. Interesting.

Funny thing, my other rabbit, an adult rescue lionhead, he is very calm and not demanding at all, but he likes his food. So, one day he peed directly into his empty bowl I think he just wanted to show me that he's not happy because his bowl is empty! Also he peed on me on the second day I've got him when I held him brushed his coat and trimmed nails I just left him alone for a week or so after that and now he's a very responsible rabbit only goes to his corner toilet for pee, and there's no poop on his floor either, everything is in pee-box or in his other box with hay/bedding. He has two boxes as he likes softer bedding I thought he'd go pee into his hay box too but no, only toilet is wet and hay box has poops but never pee.

Anyway, sorry for a long post and not entirely related hopefully you'll find out how to fix that. :)

Never planned having my lady outdoor but after two months of bad sleep she had to move out. She was a free roaming indoor rabbit before. She was great at using the litter box during the day and no accident happened, a lovely bunny but during the night everything flipped when everyone went to bed, it turned for the worse. She flipped her litter box and the whole bathroom which had the litter box became her toilet.

Had to spend hours every day cleaning the bathroom floor and scrubbing.

She would always thump the floor, scratching the bedroom door (have claw marks on the door from her) and grunt the whole night. So I had to have her in my bedroom and share my bed with her, which would make her bite and step on my face if she didn’t get attention, so no sleeping for me and the rest of my family. She would also renovate my room like flipping the waste bin and moving stuffed animals everywhere, truly a tyrant queen.

But after moving out she stopped thumping during the night, no more grunts or biting and she would use her litter box until recently. Only time you can hear her thumping the floor during the night it’s when deer or mooses walks into the yard. She’s not scared of cats or dogs.

She’s the tyrant queen of my rabbits but I often take her in when watching movies to just cuddly and maybe share some snacks. She can spend hours laying next to you while cuddling with her.

Never planned having my lady outdoor but after two months of bad sleep she had to move out. She was a free roaming indoor rabbit before. She was great at using the litter box during the day and no accident happened, a lovely bunny but during the night everything flipped when everyone went to bed, it turned for the worse. She flipped her litter box and the whole bathroom which had the litter box became her toilet.

Had to spend hours every day cleaning the bathroom floor and scrubbing.

She would always thump the floor, scratching the bedroom door (have claw marks on the door from her) and grunt the whole night. So I had to have her in my bedroom and share my bed with her, which would make her bite and step on my face if she didn’t get attention, so no sleeping for me and the rest of my family. She would also renovate my room like flipping the waste bin and moving stuffed animals everywhere, truly a tyrant queen.

But after moving out she stopped thumping during the night, no more grunts or biting and she would use her litter box until recently. Only time you can hear her thumping the floor during the night it’s when deer or mooses walks into the yard. She’s not scared of cats or dogs.

She’s the tyrant queen of my rabbits but I often take her in when watching movies to just cuddly and maybe share some snacks. She can spend hours laying next to you while cuddling with her.
Oh my, so maybe she wants it all back and hoping that if she will soil the hutch you might take her in. Interesting case, she definitely seeks attention here.

Oh my, so maybe she wants it all back and hoping that if she will soil the hutch you might take her in. Interesting case, she definitely seeks attention here.

Too bad she didn’t manage to bond to either of my bucks.

Can’t have her indoor because she still claws my bedroom door when she comes in.

I only allow my rabbits to be in my bedroom when they stay in the cage quite or they will get thrown out from the room. My indoor buck knows this and will stay quiet the whole night until I wake up. While my outdoor buck also followed this when he was indoor.

I will have to see during this month if she stops using the hutch floor as a litter box. But she will always be a spoiled lady.

IMG_3871.jpg

What a lovely photo! And she's so beautiful, she looks a bit like my Smokey too :)
I wish you best of luck :)

Back