Stopped Eating Cecotropes after Move

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Occasionallycaress

Reaction score
Title honestly says it all.

To add some context, I moved aprox. two weeks ago. Ever since then, I've noticed my rabbit (5yr old mini rex) hasn't been eating her cecotropes. I figured it was a a stress thing and just hoped she'd adjust as time went on. Well it's been some time and she hasn't adjusted. Her diet is the same diet as before we've moved, her poops all look normal. Her teeth look fine, and she's been grooming like normal so I assume it isn't an arthritis problem. While I live in a dorm so there's occasional rustling heard through the walls, there's no other major stressors (other than the move in general, ofc) that I can think of. I plan on taking away her pellets for a bit to see if she's getting too much, and otherwise I plan on going to the vet this weekend if that doesn't help. Just looking for second opinions, as those things seem to be the major problems and most of them don't seem to apply.

I would suspect your rabbit is still adjusting to the change if the cecals are coming normally formed and not pasty. I would give it a couple more weeks. Reducing pellets a little in this time may help as well, but ensure grass hay(mix of leaf and stem, not too coarse) is free fed and is being consumed really well. It's also good to keep an eye on body weight and condition, to make sure no unhealthy weight loss occurs.

Then after a couple more weeks, if it's still occurring, something else like a health or diet issue may be the root cause.

Back