Stop bunny, destroying shoes and escaping

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by Hermelin, Aug 21, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Aug 21, 2019 #1

Hermelin

Hermelin

Hermelin

I know some of you have bunnies that are experts on escaping. Doing their prison escape and running away. In my house it’s the youngest bun Toste.

He run around indoors and have manage to run out from the house 5 times, could had been more but we have caught him before he runs away.

Toste it’s also a shoe lover that often play around with the shoes and destroyed countless of shoelaces. An expert on rigging up a booby trap in the hallway with his shoes. Even his comfortable bed is made of shoes.

So I need help on how to at least hinder Toste from running out from the door and also destroying shoelaces.

I can’t portion off the hallway.

View attachment 42444
    View attachment 42445
    IMG_5699.jpg

rabbitlover2019 likes this.
  2. Aug 25, 2019 #2

Jacky McCarthy

Jacky McCarthy

Jacky McCarthy

She is soo cute what you do is get apple vigner water and spray it on your shoes I had to do that with mine

3. Aug 25, 2019 #3

Hermelin

Hermelin

Hermelin

Thanks for the tips, I’ll try it on him and see if it will work

4. Aug 25, 2019 #4

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

Sprays -- if they do work (depends on the rabbit) -- will be temporary. It would have to be re-sprayed as needed. You won't know they need re-sprayed until he starts chewing on them .... which kind of defeats the purpose.

Shoes should be left out of his reach. Same with doors. If you don't want him to go somewhere, you have to put up a barricade. That's the only way.

TreasuredFriend likes this.
  5. Aug 26, 2019 #5

wiwbar

wiwbar

wiwbar

Ya how true the fronts of anything with wood on em, behind tv stands need to be sectioned off. You dont want em to be fat but ya got to keep em well fed or they choo at least mine do. Mine leave my shoes alone but the edgesof doors can be a problem. I hear em chooing yell at em and they run back to me like its a game. Gotta have as good of hearing as bunnies do, lol.

6. Aug 26, 2019 #6

Charlotteandbetty

Charlotteandbetty

Charlotteandbetty

Best thing I’ve found... spraying perfume!! My boy won’t go near anything after I’ve given it a spritz x

7. Aug 26, 2019 #7

rabbitlover2019

rabbitlover2019

rabbitlover2019

My tiny Bunny also is expert on escaping
    she easily climbing on objects and escape from my room.

8. Aug 26, 2019 #8

Hermelin

Hermelin

Hermelin

Toste had to move out from the house again and become an outdoor bunny. I was planning to let him be indoors a while longer to make him more tame. But the weather is soon going to get colder during the night. So he needs to start molting and get the winter fur.

Also my parents got tired of him chomping off the shoelaces, during the 3 months he lived indoors.

Going to miss having a bunny jumping up on the bed during the mornings and asking for cuddles and kisses. He always stalked after you and even though he was scared often he carefully followed me to explore.

My other bunny that permanently lives indoors it’s a bit overweight so he no longer jump up on the bed. He will just stomp asking to be picked up. He’s 100% spoiled by my parents in a bad way.

rabbitlover2019 likes this.
  9. Aug 27, 2019 #9

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

We use baby gates--jumpers get the gate on top of another gate--about a meter and a half high--works for us.

10. Aug 27, 2019 #10

samoth

samoth

samoth

This worked for me (well, cologne) at first. They they stopped caring about the scent and went back to doing what they weren't supposed to be doing :)

11. Aug 27, 2019 #11

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

We have multiple rescues and sanctuary members in our home. We quickly learn what spots are enticing stimulation to each individual's personality.

Shoes and stringly chewable intriguing objects can be put out of reach, or blocked off. Good heavens, you wouldn't want your fur-babes to get a GI blockage from indigestible material. We have several gold exercise pens that block off intriguing chewable-object areas when the buns are out for playtime. Plus anything somebun can nibble is kept out of reach. Lots of stimulation chewable playtoys are provided.

Am sad to hear that your bed jumper bun who asks for cuddles and kisses will be placed outside.

12. Aug 27, 2019 #12

Hermelin

Hermelin

Hermelin

Never thought about blocking the shoes, my bunnies have a wood house and few toys scattered around they can play in the house. Most of the furniture are of wood and not expensive so no problem for them chewing.

He will move back indoors when I move away, but I have two years maybe 3 years in university before I move out. All depends on if I manage to pass the exams and that I won’t crash because of stress again. Right now, I’m on the border between pushing my body and mentality too hard or just barely staying afloat to not be consumed of stress.

I always have a bunny in my room when I’m going to sleep. So I can cuddle with them, listen to them eat, see them play or sleeping. So myself can also relax and fall asleep.

My bunnies give me some peace and make me feel relaxed when I’m with them. There’s always a feeling of happinesses. Which often helps me to push through the day.

13. Aug 27, 2019 #13

rabbitlover2019

rabbitlover2019

rabbitlover2019

My Bunny today destroyed to carpets.
    my mom is going to kill both of us.

Alyssa and Bugs♡ likes this.