Stolen rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangelhotots

Reaction score
I know, I know, I'm an absolute idiot.:(Well, hear me out,Ok- I met this breeder at a show over the summer, super nice person and very helpful. We kept in touch pretty regularly and emailed often just chatting about the bunnies, ect. I considered her a good bunny friend.

Thanksgiving weekend was a show in Oklahoma-I had a buck on my sales page and she contacted me about him. She *really* wanted him. I went to a lot of trouble finding a transport arrangement for this buck since I could not go to the show. She emails me like a day before the transport pickup saying that she would need to send a check to me because she wouldn't get paid until monday....knowing our 'history' of chatting and how helpful she had been to me, I thought she was someone I could trust and agreed that would be fine, to just send it out on that following monday.

Never got the payment. I've emailed and called- the answers I get are...I'm sorry, I'll send it out tomorrow; or if you dont get it by this date, I'll send out another payment....ect. I still have the buck's pedigree(not that it's that important apparently). I heard today she has many litters being born-which just so happens to be 35 days after she got him-I wonder what buck is the dad.:XAm I being ugly? I'm sorry-I'm just FRUSTRATED. I can't get a specific date on when she sent the 'original payment'. I have definately learned a lesson-don't worry. I won't even agree to something like that for Anybody-ever-ever-again, even if they are my mentor.

Here's the email I'm considering sending: What should I change? I wrote it when I was a little upset.

"

I'm not trying to be rude, or angry but I am very frustrated. I've tried to ask when the payment was mailed butnever received a date. I see you email on the yahoogroupsand not reply to my emails.It's been over a month ago since you accquired my buck. I trusted that you would do as you said and send the payment in November. I have not sent the pedigree because I am waiting for him to be paid for. I'm trying to be nice and give you some time tosend the payment but now I'm just getting frustrated. I really think you're a sweet person and mean well. It's just that I paid extra for thatREW buck to be sent to Oklahoma, I never mentioned it to you-I was doing it as a favor so that you could get him. All I ask is $30 for the buck-I think he's really nice and worth more than that. His pedigree is outstanding too! Again, I hope you don't take this email the wrong way- I just haven't heard from you in a while.

ETA: the smilies aren't in the email- just how I feel right now.

:X:(:?

Thanks Emily. Am I being unreasonable? I know I'm not-but Geez, why can't people NOT LIE?! I trusted her! I even said, "I trust you, you can send the payment out on Monday."

Think I'm going to send the email tonight-she won't answer the phone.

I don't think your being unreasonable at all. Bottom line is she's received a buck she didn't pay for, so technically that's stealing? or something along those lines....If someone cannot make payment they should contact you to let you know what's going on and you trusted she would pay so that's like completely ruining the trust....I hope it all gets sorted out:)

I think she's giving you the run around, send the e-mail you wrote and if you don't get the money after that then send another one saying you'll have to take further steps and threaten her like that, it might frighten her into giving you the money.

I hate it when people do that to you and make you chase them for money they should have paid long ago. I think you are rather polite in your email considering that she's so rude. But in the end I'm convinced things like that usually backfire

I think I just dodged a similar situation to yours. My latest litter of Lionheads I had a girl who was super interested in my blue tort buck. She was not going to get paid until the end of the week and was going to then send payments. Because she was so psyched about getting the bunny, I told others it wasn't available any longer. I then never got a payment and kept getting goofy stories that didn't make sense. Luckily I wised up and told her I was going to make the bunny available again for others. However, I'm so sad for him because now all his siblings are gone and he's by himself and he had numerous opportunities to get a new home, but I was saving him for her.

BlueTortBuck.jpg

Isn't he a dear? I'm glad he didn't go to her as I think she was too flaky to be a bunny owner and couldn't be trusted. I'm just mad at what she did to him.

I hope your situation works out for you. It's a kick in the pants when you do someone a favor and they treat you poorly. I did once have a breeder that didn't give me the pedigrees I paid for. I sent her a certified letter stating that I was going to take it to the court system and put on there that I sent a carbon copy to my lawyer. Within two days I had the pedigrees.

I think you're being fairly reasonable. But maybe you should call her instead since she is avoiding your email. Point out that once she gets that payment to you you'll be happy to mail her the pedigree.

I do freelance work as a day job. When I have trouble getting someone to pay I ussually mail a formal looking invoice outlining what is owed. Then in a day or two later I contact them via phone "to make sure they got it". I find the best way to talk to someone about these things is to be very blunt without getting emotional.

murph72 wrote:
I sent her a certified letter stating that I was going to take it to the court system and put on there that I sent a carbon copy to my lawyer. Within two days I had the pedigrees.

Wow I didn't know you could take them to court over that.

lilangel I think that is a good email. If she doesn't send the money then you should threaten her that you'll call the police and tell them she practically stole the rabbit. Thats' what i would do.

ETA: don't delete any email you get from her and find the first ones. just so if you do call the police you can back up your statement so she can't make them think you gave the bun to her for free.

murph72 wrote:
I did once have a breeder that didn't give me the pedigrees I paid for. I sent her a certified letter stating that I was going to take it to the court system and put on there that I sent a carbon copy to my lawyer. Within two days I had the pedigrees.

That sounds like the situation I'm in with my sheeps' breeder. I have one lambs' registration papers, but not the other. I've sent tons of e-mails. I bought them back in June...got one of their papers in maybe September/October? The guy never replies to my e-mails or anything, but it's really getting me mad.

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
murph72 wrote:
I did once have a breeder that didn't give me the pedigrees I paid for. I sent her a certified letter stating that I was going to take it to the court system and put on there that I sent a carbon copy to my lawyer. Within two days I had the pedigrees.

That sounds like the situation I'm in with my sheeps' breeder. I have one lambs' registration papers, but not the other. I've sent tons of e-mails. I bought them back in June...got one of their papers in maybe September/October? The guy never replies to my e-mails or anything, but it's really getting me mad.

Emily
Seriously, just call them. You'd be surprised how easy it is to forget/ignore an email. It's much more memorable when you're talking to a real voice.

Just wanted to update- she emailed me back. She was actually really nice and apologized-I kinda feel bad but at least I got a reply.

"

I did send payment out I put it in the drop box late saturday afternoon on dec 13 so it would go out til monday and I have already contacted the bank for a stop payment on the check since you havent got it yet and am remailing you a payment out again this time by money order should go out tuesday. I apologize for the inconvience for you and thank you for your understanding, yours wasnt the only thing that got lost in that mail drop too, I had sent in my cell phone bill and it didnt show up either so I had to go and stop payment on that and pay it at the store. So I am not sure what happened to it. But I assure you I keep my word. I had sent you a previous email to see if you had got it yet, guess it never made it to you though I sent the email before christmas. The same time I mailed yours, I also mailed my mother in law her christmas card and when she got it. Her mail carrier had it wrapped up with rubberbands cause it caught in a machine and was shredded a bit. So I havent been avoided you at all. I have only access to a computer a bit when I could go to library when my computer was being debugged luckliy its under warrenty for a bit longer.

"

Thanks all for the advice-hopefully it will all work out. I was a little upset yesterday about the whole ordeal, thanks for letting me 'get it all out'. Murph-I'm sorry to hear about your little lionhead guy-he's a real cutie, surely he'll find a forever home soon.:)

:grouphug

Thank goodness you got a reply! You were right to hold the papers until you received good payment. I had a similar situation happen witha trio of cavies and a very nice cage. Never received payment from the woman...she was friends with a friend of mine. I was angry but I figure what goes around, comes around - if you are dishonest or mean it will come back to bite you in the backside.

I have been trying to contact a breeder in my area regarding purchasing rabbits. It would be so nice if the person would answer the phone or emails (and I have been trying for three months now:grumpy:). Another breeder told me "that person is 'like that' and they will not sell you good quality rabbits - only culls" so I am now looking elsewhere. The second breeder said they will contact me when they get a shipment in the spring from out of state. Spring is a long time to wait so I will be joining the specialty club and will be the squeaky wheel that will hopefully get the grease (rabbits!).

The $30 sounded reasonable to me for a nice buck... best of luck to you! I always make sure I reply to all my emails/phone callsas I know how it feels.

Denise

Denise

I'm glad your situation is ending well.

In my situation, I was told by an attorney (who was a family friend, so it was free advice), that the woman who didn't give me the pedigrees was guilty of a breech of contract. He told me to get together all of the correspondences that I made setting up the sale, as well as contacting her to try to get the pedigrees. In the letter I wrote I listed all the times and dates of phone calls she did not return, letters she did not answer, and emails she didn't answer. He said a lot of times the fact that you have all your ducks in a row and send an official, certified letter will scare people into complying. It worked for her. She didn't want to be bothered making out the pedigrees, but she really didn't want to go to court even less.

Denise, you said you had a breeder that wouldn't contact you back...that sounds too much like the breeder I had problems with. She was very slow to contact me when I wanted to get the Lionheads. She was a good one for never answering the phone and not returning phone calls. I probably should have never bought anything from her because it showed she wasn't reliable. I guess it's a lesson learned. :)

For this same litter of Lionheads that were sold around Christmas, I had a woman from the Philly area tell me I was the only breeder out of numerous ones she called that ever got back to her. Even if I didn't have what she wanted (which, lucky for her I did), I can't imagine not calling someone back that is interested in your rabbits. I think that shows what kind of person you are if you can't even be bothered talking bunnies to someone.

murph72 wrote:
Denise, you said you had a breeder that wouldn't contact you back...that sounds too much like the breeder I had problems with. She was very slow to contact me when I wanted to get the Lionheads. She was a good one for never answering the phone and not returning phone calls. I probably should have never bought anything from her because it showed she wasn't reliable. I guess it's a lesson learned. :)

For this same litter of Lionheads that were sold around Christmas, I had a woman from the Philly area tell me I was the only breeder out of numerous ones she called that ever got back to her. Even if I didn't have what she wanted (which, lucky for her I did), I can't imagine not calling someone back that is interested in your rabbits. I think that shows what kind of person you are if you can't even be bothered talking bunnies to someone.

lilangelhotots, I'm so glad you will be getting payment. Yeah, I dealt with that once... only once. No one takes a rabbit til I get paid now. (If I send a rabbit to a show to be picked up, payment has to be mailed ahead of time.) Hope you get the money order soon. (You'd think she would have contacted you to see if you got the check... Communication works two ways!)

murph72, It really shows what kind of a person you arethat you answer correspondence... If you want to sell your rabbits... if you want to have a good reputation... you have to maintain communications. Whether it's email or phone conversations, letters or text messages...

You'd be surprised how many people I hear from asking about rabbits, that tell me they sent out 10 emails (or made 8 phone calls and left messages) to different breeders and they only got one response.

If you do not want to sell to a person, it doesn't take much effort to let them know you don't have anything for them.

I hope she sends out the check soon. The "stop payment" on the first check sounds a little suspicious. It costs about $30 at most banks to stop payment on a check. If she's pretty certain the check has been destroyed, I don't think it makes much sense to pay $30 to stop payment on a $30 check????

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I hope she sends out the check soon. The "stop payment" on the first check sounds a little suspicious. It costs about $30 at most banks to stop payment on a check. If she's pretty certain the check has been destroyed, I don't think it makes much sense to pay $30 to stop payment on a $30 check????

Pam
Very valid point. Those longwinded excuses sound a bit suspicious to me:(

Yeah, there's no substitute for cash in hand. It's seems like the long winded excuses are just a stall tactic. I had that with the girl who wanted my blue tort baby boy. By the way, I think he may have found himself a new forever home today with a great family who already have two rescue bunnies....they're coming to meet him in a few days. Yay!

Speaking of this, though slightly off topic, how do you contact a breeder about a rabbit whom you sold and her check bounced in my account. I don't know the person, itwas a rabbit i pulled out of our local auction that was a champion papered mini lop. I brought him to a show, to show and sell him. I'm not a mini lop person. This lady gave me a check for him and took him and his papers and disappeared. I know his original breeders, and they knew this other person, but i haven't gotten a reply from the original breeders.

-For anythat live in NY, it's Tanglebushe's rabbitry one of their mini lops sold to a lady in Saratoga and she brought it to the auction, i plucked him out from the meat buyers and brought him home and into condition and to the show in Morrisville NY, found his original breeders(set up next to me actually). this other women that wanted more of this women's mini lops saw the one i had and bought him on the spot.

Now i only asked for what i had paid at the auction for him, so it wasn't much, but it still bothers me that I got charged for the bounced check.

But i am very glad to hear that she contacted you and i understand her irratating misfortunes with the post office. I've lostfour bills this year alone sending them out, one in January, one in September one in November and one this decemeber and i do know that it costs $30 to stop a check but my bank said not to worry, i told them each time and they said they'll flag them and notify me immediately so i don't have to pay that extra to stop them. If the money order shows up then she actually was telling the truth, just don't hold your breath.

BTW, that little bunny was adorable!

Latest posts

Back