Stinky Bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixelGirl2dot0

Reaction score
Hi there!

Beatrix is a 4 month old English Angora. Over the past two days or so, she's been a little... stinky. Sort of like a mix of poo and garlic? It's come up all of a sudden and not sure why exactly.

I've been integrating some garden veggies here and there into her dinner - basil, parsley, and a little nibble of carrot and strawberry. That's the only thing that's changed recently. Both her hutch (including litterbox) and playpen are cleaned every morning, so I don't imagine it's that.

Any advice?

Have you checked her scent glands? They can get stinky if they are dirty. They are 2 slits on either side of the genitals. You can use a q-tip with some warm water to clean them if they are gunky. Some rabbits are more gunky than others, so it is good to check them from time to time and clean as needed.

What material is her hutch made of? Outdoor hutches are usually made of wood which will absorb liquid and odours. It can be hard to clean.
If it is a cage inside, then there might be some stuff outside the cage that could be smelly. Try to clean that as well as you can.

Also, check that she hasn't sat in a cecotrope stuck to her belly or bum fur anywhere, Loki was a bit stinky when I first got him and discovered a ceotrope stuck to his fur

The veggies can cause a little over production or soft cecals if she's not used to them, it shouldn't be anything serious, just push the hay and try and figure out if its a particular veggie or fruit and stick with small amounts.

Scent glands may be the 'garlic' smell, but the diet addition makes it likely to be diet as well.

sas :bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back