Still nipping/biting?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulubooboo

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I hope you're all staying healthy!
Lulu has been nipping me and my brother randomly. She still sometimes bites me, again, for no reason. Shes spayed, it's been over 2 months since then, and she doesn't appear to be in any pain. She'll binky, so I know she's happy, but it's really odd she's still occasionally nipping or biting.
My brother was setting up a larger cage for her and the other bunny, and Lulu just came up to my brother and bit him. He said he wasn't petting her, wasn't petting the other bunny, didn't have food, nothing.
Could she possibly be a little upset that she's moved in with my brothers bunny? We moved them together a week-ish ago, and they seemed fine, but ever since then she's been nipping or biting. Any ideas why? Thanks for all your help!

Nipping is a way for rabbits to communicate. It can mean that they want attention or that you're in their way and you need to move. If it's a bite where it hurts, then she's letting you know that she is not approving of whatever it is you're doing.

Is this the first time you're bonding the two rabbits?

Yes, this is the first time trying to bond them. They seem to be fine together. My brother's male bun grooms Lulu.

Nipping is a way for rabbits to communicate. It can mean that they want attention or that you're in their way and you need to move. If it's a bite where it hurts, then she's letting you know that she is not approving of whatever it is you're doing.

Is this the first time you're bonding the two rabbits?
I now think this biting is because if territorial aggression. She just bit my brother again when she was hiding in " her " spot under a wheelbarrow. Any tips on non-cage aggression?
She's always been very aggressive when you're in her territory but she was outside in neutral territory when she bit today.

Is it a nip bite? Nip bites can still hurt but are for attention. A real bite would be different and you would be able to tell the difference. What does she do leading up to the bit? Is she digging you clothes? Binkying? Are you in "her" space and she doesn't like that?

Is it a nip bite? Nip bites can still hurt but are for attention. A real bite would be different and you would be able to tell the difference. What does she do leading up to the bit? Is she digging you clothes? Binkying? Are you in "her" space and she doesn't like that?
She once binkyed after she nipped me, but other than that's, no binkys.
She just bit my brother, and this time it was his fault for not paying attention to her body language, and she lunged at him 2 times, then she but him. But she usually just bites. No reason.
When she's in " her " spot she once bit me so hard my thumb nail cracked. I was trying to pull her out because she needed to go back to her area. The place I was trying to get her out of was neutral territory

I now think this biting is because if territorial aggression. She just bit my brother again when she was hiding in " her " spot under a wheelbarrow. Any tips on non-cage aggression?
She's always been very aggressive when you're in her territory but she was outside in neutral territory when she bit today.
sounds like she’s trying to make the neutral area as her territory as well. When you were working on the bonding with them, were you sure they were both ready to be in a larger area? The male bunny may have groomed her but did she groom him back ever? She may need to continue working on her bond with all of you. Also when she bites, make a loud high pitch sound to alarm her that she’s hurting you. Or using your hand, gently press her head to the ground to show that you disapprove of what she’s doing and that you’re top bunny and not her (this method is how rabbits scold each other).

Here’s also a good article to understand aggression.
Aggression | House Rabbit Society

sounds like she’s trying to make the neutral area as her territory as well. When you were working on the bonding with them, were you sure they were both ready to be in a larger area? The male bunny may have groomed her but did she groom him back ever? She may need to continue working on her bond with all of you. Also when she bites, make a loud high pitch sound to alarm her that she’s hurting you. Or using your hand, gently press her head to the ground to show that you disapprove of what she’s doing and that you’re top bunny and not her (this method is how rabbits scold each other).

When Lulu and Puddles, the other bun, we're moved in together, it was kind of rushed, we needed the other cage she was in for another animal, and it was way too small for her. But when they're in the current cage and run around area they get along great, they've even flopped together.
And she has never been super friendly towards Puddles but doesn't hate him. She probably hates me more than him. 😭

I've been holing her head down when she bites for months, ever since I got her, I've had her since early January. I think she came from a rough shelter, she's a rescue, her fur was a mess when I got her, it looked like she'd never been brushed in her life. Poor little baby.
Any tips on how I could try and get her to trust me more?

I've been holing her head down when she bites for months, ever since I got her, I've had her since early January. I think she came from a rough shelter, she's a rescue, her fur was a mess when I got her, it looked like she'd never been brushed in her life. Poor little baby.
Any tips on how I could try and get her to trust me more?
It sounds like the poor girl had a rough past and it's going to take time to gain her trust. Maybe she was mishandled or had too much stress and she's dealing with trauma. It may even take weeks, even months to get her to fully trust you. When you enter her territory, try to ignore her and just go about your business like watching tv, or reading a book. Let her continue to come up to you as she gets used to your smell. Talk softly to her, and you could even give her a piece of veggie or treat to show her that you mean no harm. Let her come to you at her own pace. She will eventually come around, even if it takes some time.

It sounds like the poor girl had a rough past and it's going to take time to gain her trust. Maybe she was mishandled or had too much stress and she's dealing with trauma. It may even take weeks, even months to get her to fully trust you. When you enter her territory, try to ignore her and just go about your business like watching tv, or reading a book. Let her continue to come up to you as she gets used to your smell. Talk softly to her, and you could even give her a piece of veggie or treat to show her that you mean no harm. Let her come to you at her own pace. She will eventually come around, even if it takes some time.
Ok, thank you. The lady that I get her from didn't seem like she would mistreat an animal, but I think she did. Lulu has always been scared of anything falling and hands, so I'm really wondering what her life was like before.

She and Puddles have never fought.

Ok, thank you. The lady that I get her from didn't seem like she would mistreat an animal, but I think she did. Lulu has always been scared of anything falling and hands, so I'm really wondering what her life was like before.

She and Puddles have never fought.
She may have been mishandled then if she's afraid of your hands. That could mean the previous person could have been too grabby, holding her too often when not needed, other anything else that caused her even more stress. Stuff falling is understandable, it's a loud sudden noise. Just think when dogs and cats have dealt with trauma and it can take weeks, months or longer to get them to come around as well.

When I first brought home Trixie in November of last year, she was scared because she was in a new area. It took her some time to warm up to her new home, new sounds that she probably wasn't used to. Nowadays, I can use the vacuum with her in the same room and she will just sit there and watch it go back and forth. There's been a few times where she's either charged at it, or sniffed it too. All in all, just be consistent with being around her and provide positive reinforcements and hopefully with time, she may even give you a lick or two.:)

She may have been mishandled then if she's afraid of your hands. That could mean the previous person could have been too grabby, holding her too often when not needed, other anything else that caused her even more stress. Stuff falling is understandable, it's a loud sudden noise. Just think when dogs and cats have dealt with trauma and it can take weeks, months or longer to get them to come around as well.

When I first brought home Trixie in November of last year, she was scared because she was in a new area. It took her some time to warm up to her new home, new sounds that she probably wasn't used to. Nowadays, I can use the vacuum with her in the same room and she will just sit there and watch it go back and forth. There's been a few times where she's either charged at it, or sniffed it too. All in all, just be consistent with being around her and provide positive reinforcements and hopefully with time, she may even give you a lick or two.:)
The weirdest thing is, is she isn't scared of loud noises. Their cage is outside, too many people in my family are allergic for them to be inside buns, and when my neither mows the grass in the backyard, she's totally ok with it. She just sits there, right at the edge of the cage while to mower is less than a foot from her. She's an odd one. 🙃

The weirdest thing is, is she isn't scared of loud noises. Their cage is outside, too many people in my family are allergic for them to be inside buns, and when my neither mows the grass in the backyard, she's totally ok with it. She just sits there, right at the edge of the cage while to mower is less than a foot from her. She's an odd one. 🙃
They can definitely be quite the characters that's for sure! It could be that she can see the mower so she's "whatever" about it. Meanwhile if something falls, it's a sudden movement so maybe that's why it startles her.

Latest posts

Back