Sticky clear eye discharge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebunnyok

Reaction score
Hey all

Mr. Tupper has just recovered from a very bad strain of pasturella. It took us six weeks of lots of antibiotics, that made him go into GI Stasis, but we pulled him through! YAY!

One thing that has been concerning me is his eyes. He has been having a clear sticky discharge coming from them. He had it when he was sick, and it is still going on.

He is eating, drinking, and seems to be feeling pretty good...ask his panda bear, who he rolls around the room humping :shock:...but this eye problem still concerns me. I am worried that he is not completely over his illness, and that this is a sign. But at the same time, I am worried about starting him back on meds after being on them for so long, and having the GI issues. I don't want him to go through that again.

Any thoughts?

I would be thinking the same as you are... that this is still some active infection.

Iam wondering what antibiotic you used that casued such bad GI issues.
Did your bun lose his appetite?

angieluv wrote:
I would be thinking the same as you are... that this is still some active infection.

Iam wondering what antibiotic you used that casued such bad GI issues.
Did your bun lose his appetite?
He stopped eating, drinking, and pooping, and his tummy was making loud sounds. I forced fluids and baby food in him till he started eating again on his own.

The doctor had him on doxycycline and was giving him injections of penicillin.

Before y'all say that this is not the right treatment, I know this. However, the vets here in Arkansas are slow at new treatments, and I can't convince him to give Tupper Zithromax.

Sorry, if I am defensive.... I would so love to be in an area where people are more progressive.... unfortunately, for now, I'm stuck in the south (circa 1975)

I think it was the combination of the drugs that was probably the problem and/or oral doxcyline

did your vet ever use one drug separately ?

The injectable pencillin would probably be enough ..was it bicillin?

angieluv wrote:
I think it was the combination of the drugs that was probably the problem and/or oral doxcyline

did your vet ever use one drug separately ?

The injectable pencillin would probably be enough ..was it bicillin?
To be honest, I am not sure. He did still give him some of it after we took him off the doxycycline, and he seemed okay with it. I am going to give them a call again on Monday, and get him in. I am just worried about hurting his little system more.

Yeah, I have read that list many times. I am not sure he is giving the right dosages. He seems to be very stingy on the dosage amounts. I am now just worried about going too aggressive with it.

Latest posts

Back