Stevie is acting odd

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteviesMom

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Stevie has been exhibiting some odd behavior today. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned?

Stevie is usually the ideal bun, (he doesn't enjoy being picked up, but I don't think I would either) he is usually the perfect mix of active and relaxed. I'll walk in to see of sprawled out bun and he will calmly get up and hop over to greet me.

Today he has startled almost every time I enter the room! I'm baffled as to why? He will dart from his spot, slipping and sliding all over the wood. A few minutes later he comes up looking for pets and snuggles. He seems very alert also. He usually hops around without a care in the world but today he seems to be anxious or something? Whenever I look at him he pops his head up and he opens his eyes really wide.

He has also lunged at me twice today!! He didn't bite either time but came at me quite quickly (it seemed aggressive but maybe I'm wrong?). He has never done anything like this in the 9 months I have had him. The first time he was in his cage (he has never been cage aggressive), I had a banana chip in my hand so maybe he was just excited? The second time he launched himself quickly at my hand during a cuddling session. I had just stopped petting him and was about to reach back down to continue, could it be he was awaiting more pets?

I'm slightly worried he isn't feeling well and that may be contributing to his behavior? He shows no other signs of illness though. He was neutered about 3 months ago I think. He had to wear a cone of shame after the procedure and that caused some matting on the fur around his back side. I carefully removed all the mats near his legs and tail but he refuses to let me flip him over to get a good look at his tummy. I can't feel any mats but I'm worried there could be some and they are hurting him.

I think I'm going to plan a visit to the vet but I don't want to stress him out by doing that if I don't have to. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone!

P.s. My boyfriend and his family watched stevie at their house for 5 days over thanksgiving, he has been home now for 3 days. Any connection to the behavior?

Something could have just spooked him today and he is just overreacting to everything, or it could have something to do with the change in his routine with the holiday and everything. He may just need a day or two to readjust or get over it if something did spook him. Just keep an eye on his poops and eating, and as long as those stay normal, he'll most likely be fine.

Thanks for your reply :) He has been eating like a pig and poops look perfectly normal. He has been doing a few outside his litter box but I figured that was because he had been out of his territory for a bit and wanted to re-establish his grounds haha.

I would give it some time, it may just be that he's having an "off" day or two. I don't see any red flags in your description that make me think a vet trip is in order. if he's active (not lethargic), isn't hunched up like he's in pain and is eating/drinking/pooping/peeing normally, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Latest posts

Back