Steps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkiddle

Reaction score
Just wondering....I was reading a post about bunnies peeing on beds and I was thinking, how long did it take your bun to like/hop up on the bed? (not that I want him peeing on it, lol)
Cheeto's a snuggley guy. He loves to lay next to me and make me pet him on the ground; but he won't get up on the bed.
I have pet steps that he's jumped up on, but he gets up on the last step, looks up at the bed, and hops down. I've put raisins (his favorite treat) on the mattress, and he'll swipe them and speed off.
He's always looking up on the bed with his periscope-self, and sees me. He looks like he wants to be up there, but I don't want to pick him up and make it a bad experience for him. I even bought a platform bed to make it easier (okay, it was mostly for my senior dog, but still,) and he puts his front paws on the top of the mattress and looks at me. But he won't come up the steps!
Ahh he's so confusing.
=)

Well, Gus isn't allowed in the bedrooms, but it took him a LONG time to feel comfortable enough tohop up on the couch, and he's still not a big fan of it. He'll hop up for a treat, but most of the time as soon as he gets the treat he hops down and eats it on the floor.

I think he sees it as our territory and so he doesn't trespass.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I know a lot of people who are trying to figure out ways to stop their bunnies getting up on the bed :p
I think it just takes time, keep doing what your doing and he'll do it eventually :)

I have tried getting my buns to get up on the bed or couch and they just won't do it. Like previous poster said, even if I put a treat up there, they will grab the treat and run. I don't know what the hesitation is from. They just seem to not like it. I have tried to pick them up and put them on the bed, but they just jump off and thump at me. I would so love a cuddly bed bunny, but I don't think it will happen.

If you really want him to come onto your bed, I would offer yummy treats while he is on the bed in hoping he realizes it is s safe fun place. It may take a while though.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I would love to hear how you get him onto the bed if you do so I can get mine in bed with me!

Sorry it's been so long; I've been so busy!
Cheeto still won't get on the bed. I'm thinking he will over time, but if he doesn't, oh well. I was just curious to see if anybody else had that problem; it seems to be the opposite with most bunnies.
Right now he's under the bed, as I unblocked it, and he never comes out. So when I permanently block it I will try again.
Thanks for all of the responses!

We had a bunny who lived in our bedroom once. Every single night he would hop onto the sofa which was right next to our bed. Then he would jump on the arm of the sofa and bounce on both of our heads and down to the other side of the bed.

Every night. Boing boing plop!

Wasn't long before he got his own room... lol

Flashie is comfortable getting on my bed..i think its cuz i have my bed up against the wall where the window is and i built a wide shelf for him to sunbathe on and he LOVES his shelf..when hes in my room thats his safe place..i have his litterbox on the floor across the room and hell get down and go potty and munch on hay and alway come FLYING up on the bed like a madman..!! no matter whats in his way he will just bonzai right over or on it..! i cant sit in a certain spot on my kingsize bed cuz thats his route and landing spot..hes collided with my a few times...
when i bring any of my buns in my room and carry them in and put them on my bed..some will find their way down and never come back up again..others will look up all the time like they want to get up there but dont ...my Petunia will jump on and off my bed but only if i sit really still...the prob with her being up there is .shes a bully with the covers..shes pushes them forward really hard and aggressively..and she really gets into it and if u even consider interrupting her pushing ..ur gonna get grunted at and pushed ..:)..which is no fun when u wanna cuddle a bun....whats funny is altho Flashie loves getting on my bed and doin binkies all over it..he will NOT lay with me...hell lay on his shelf which is right up against the bed..but not on the bed with me...it suks cuz i wanna cuddle that orange bunny...Petunia will cuddle with me but if u stop petting her shell start pushing the covers around and being a brat...so moral of the story ..even if u can get ur bun on ur bed....it might not be cuddling on their minds...
oh yea and Flashie chews my sheets and curtains.......so maybe its a good thing that ur bun doesnt get on ur bed:)

It took Otto over a year just to get up on the couch - he's never jumped up on a bed. The only reason he got up the courage for the couch is that we got a second bunny who was much braver and was on that couch in record time. After that Otto felt left out when Hannah would come on the couch so he learned to jump up there. He's still far more comfortable jumping on to the shorter couch because he can stand on his hind legs and see onto the seat. On the higher couch he can't see where he's jumping and it takes him a while before he decides to go for it. I don't think he will ever jump on a bed unless it's very low to the ground. Some bunnies are just more cautious than others! I actually don't mind that he's not a jumper because he can't get into as much trouble.

Hannah hasn't been in our bedroom, but her original owner said she was up on the bed the first or second day she brought her home. Hannah loves to jump up on high things and has even climbed onto our dining room table (via the chairs)

elrohwen wrote:
It took Otto over a year just to get up on the couch - he's never jumped up on a bed. The only reason he got up the courage for the couch is that we got a second bunny who was much braver and was on that couch in record time. After that Otto felt left out when Hannah would come on the couch so he learned to jump up there. He's still far more comfortable jumping on to the shorter couch because he can stand on his hind legs and see onto the seat. On the higher couch he can't see where he's jumping and it takes him a while before he decides to go for it. I don't think he will ever jump on a bed unless it's very low to the ground. Some bunnies are just more cautious than others! I actually don't mind that he's not a jumper because he can't get into as much trouble.

Hannah hasn't been in our bedroom, but her original owner said she was up on the bed the first or second day she brought her home. Hannah loves to jump up on high things and has even climbed onto our dining room table (via the chairs)
yea i agree with u Laura some buns are very cautious and if they cant see where their gonna land then they dont jump...my Flashie jumps without even looking..which can be very dangerous.hes landed on my face NUMEROUS times on the bed or couch..

I think my bunny just followed the cats, he was on the couch in less then a week and the bed about the same. He also figured out stairs pretty quick although I'd appreciate it if the cats and bunny weren't playing Indy 500 on the stairs when the human is trying to use them.

2 and a half months later aaannnddd...he did it! I put a raisin on the bed frame (which is level with the mattress) and gave him some raisins for hopping up the steps. I was starting to go to sleep because he never took the raisin on the bedframe, and I figured it was all the same since he would reach the top step and hop back down. Suddenly I hear "thump thump thump!" And I had a bunny in my bed. He's still really cautious because the "floor" cushions his feet, but I know he'll get used to it. Mind you, I stopped coaxing him up soon after I posted this thread; I just figured he wasn't comfortable, so why push it? Lately he's been curious about the bed again, so I thought I'd get him to try the steps and viola!
Yayy! I have a bed bunny now!

*Definitely meant voila. There's really nothing that special about the middle voice of the violin family.:biggrin2:

Harley hops on the couch no problem, he likes to jump on and then back off. LOL.

He also doesn't make messes on the bed anymore either.
Took about 3 weeks of everytime he did it to moving him into his cage and into his litter box.

Becky won't jump up on the bed, but she will put her paws on the side and look at us with sad eyes to put her up. Then she snuggles down and makes a "bunn cave". Last night we actually fell asleep with her still in the bed. My husband woke up a couple hours later with her still snuggled in. We are too afraid of rolling over on her to let her stay all night.

I don't know if it is too far for her to jump or she just likes making us do things. :)

Latest posts

Back